Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
Apr 29 2011, 10:01 pm
By: Sacrieur  

May 2 2011, 3:39 am Sacrieur Post #21

Still Napping

Quote from rayNimagi
Quote from Sacrieur
The beauty is that most people can be fat lazy slobs without affecting anything. Take a look at Wall-E, society was functioning perfectly well despite everyone being comically obese.
Wait did you just use a Disney/Pixar movie as an accurate hypothetical simulation? ...

Yup! <3 Wall-E.

Well I suppose if there was enough automation and smart enough AI, people could live maintenance-free like they did. But currently, that technology doesn't exist yet, or is to expensive to implement on a global scale.

I agree, automation isn't at a level it should be at, but it'll get there, and it is getting there fast. It's well within our reach... I'll get back to this after I finish writing a paper on it.

And on the contrary, the current "motivation" system is restrictive-- it is what causes people to be lazy. Have you ever seen a lazy toddler? Or five year old? It's only after we hammer them through some industrialized medieval education that they show laziness. We force all of their creativity and fun out of them in the name of profit. You go to work, you come home, you're bloody exhausted because you hate your repetitive job. Are you going to go work on some project? Fuck no, you're going to sit on the couch and watch TV with a beer.
And if you don't go to school, you end up working a repetitive job, coming home bloody exhausted, and sitting on the couch and drinking beer. Obviously we can both agree the current system has too many faults. What's the Zeitgeist (or your) solution to education?

It is clearly mentioned that there would be an educational center in each city-hub (for lack of a better word). But the details of which ... I'm not entirely certain of. I would definitely find them more... hands-on and fit for learning than our current system. Possibly the entire system would be computerized, and classrooms completely done away with. Students would probably be on a wok at your own pace type of thing. Human tutors would probably be available for assistance.

This is all speculation, and the idea needs fleshed out. But it isn't anything that cannot be solved with the application of science and engineering (such as psychology).

Look at the liberal arts mostly. Artists and musicians do what they do because they really love it-- not for bloody profit. And architects could spend their time actually designing cool buildings that they want to design instead of some bloody stairwell.
That would be great if everyone could spend their time going whatever they wanted to do. Now, how do we get there without causing massive social upheaval and violent revolutions before we invent the technology to completely automate non-creative processes?

That is a big problem, I've been wondering how to do this as well. Though I am no systems engineer. I am sure the expertise and people exist to make it a reality, but hey. Then again, it is a technical problem.

None.

May 2 2011, 4:49 am payne Post #22

:payne:

It's claimed that only 3% of the actual work is required.
This society wouldn't need everyone to work at all.

And about abolition of private property, it's interesting to look a bit into Proudhon's vision of property: there would be two types. First one is "capital", second one is "of usage".
When they talk about "abolition of private property", they're talking of the "capital" one. For example, someone claiming an object to be his only because he believe he'll be able to make it profitable for himself on the long term (think of apartments).
The "property of usage" would still be respected: if you are using a bicycle, no one has the right to just pick it up from you and decide he needs it. As long as you are using something, it can be considered as yours exclusively. As long as you use it. Houses would most likely fall into this category, but there is subject to debate.

None.

Options
  Back to forum