Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Targeting Christianity
Targeting Christianity
Apr 29 2011, 9:04 pm
By: ubermctastic
Pages: < 1 2 3 49 >

Apr 30 2011, 12:35 am Tempz Post #21

Most of the world is English speaking and Christianity is the most prevalent English religion so that's why most of the religious yard stick is referred to Christianity. Also the fact that Christians were one of the first people to have large scale missionary covens spread across the world is huge reason why they've become synonymous with the often "targeted religion".

Rome spread the religion throughout Europe in the ruling of Constantine and that spread to England; this lead to the helping of Christianity have widespread Appeal and quite literally grow like a virus (not in the bad sense of course). Places in the worlds such as Usa are yard sticks and the "Golden Standard". Thus Usa helped it in that way but, England also help spread it to Africa, South eastern pacific such as Australia, Canada, South America. Because most of the major continents knows Christianity in some form its pretty obvious at least in my eyes . That Christianity is the targeted religion.

Even most Chinese are converting being that over an estimated 100 million people in China are now Christan which is huge for the last few decades or so.

Also another huge reason is that the media (by media i mean mainly TV shows) blows up Christianity to such huge proportions and nearly all religious talks in the media boils down to Christianity or Anti - Christianity. Such examples as the Simpsons and Family Guy; yes i know Lisa is Buddhist and Louis is Catholic but these are just tiny outliers in the family.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 30 2011, 12:54 am by Tempz.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 12:43 am Centreri Post #22

Relatively ancient and inactive

Catholicism isn't christianity?

Many lols were had.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 12:46 am Jack Post #23

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Centreri
Correct.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 30 2011, 12:49 am Tempz Post #24

I never said that, I said that i know that Louis is Catholic but i stated it was an outlier which is stating i acknowledge them as separate regions.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 1:21 am Oh_Man Post #25

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Quote from Jack
Quote from Centreri
Correct.

No Catholicism is a type of Christianity. You are trolling?

Apr 30 2011, 1:50 am Tempz Post #26

Well no and yes....

Catholicism is a type of Christianity but its not really Christianity.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 2:16 am Neki Post #27

Quote from Tempz
Well no and yes....

Oh you mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Yeah, I guess you could go about that route.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 2:32 am ClansAreForGays Post #28

Quote from Neki
Quote from Tempz
Well no and yes....

Oh you mean:

Wow, could not have put it better.

Apr 30 2011, 2:52 am Jack Post #29

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Neki
Quote from Tempz
Well no and yes....

Oh you mean:

Wow, could not have put it better.
Problem with that is it's like saying "I'm a scientist" when you don't believe in science, and then another person says "but true scientists believe in science". Then he goes HA NO TRUE SCOTSMAN ARGUMENT, LOGICAL FALLACY. When in fact it would be correct to say that Person A is not a scientist.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 30 2011, 3:02 am Kaias Post #30

Quote from Neki
Quote from Tempz
Well no and yes....

Oh you mean:

No True Scotsman doesn't apply here. The argument that Catholics are not part of Christianity isn't that they aren't true Christians, simply that they aren't typically included under that label (at least that's what I believe their argument is). Technically Catholics are Christians simply because they believe in Christ, but both sides are just arguing semantics here; it doesn't really matter.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 3:10 am Neki Post #31

Then what is the definition of Christianity then?

None.

Apr 30 2011, 3:20 am Fire_Kame Post #32

wth is starcraft

Honestly, I find the attacks on Christianity to be kinda funny. I think I get upset when people make stupid accusations, but I've come to expect it. A lot of what's attributed to Christianity...such as Noah's Ark...is part of Judaism and Islam.

Apr 30 2011, 4:01 am Oh_Man Post #33

The only people that say religion X is Christian are those who are part of a christian religion accusing other christian religions of being 'unchristian'. Catholics certainly count themselves as Christians, and everyone who is secular knows Christians as religious people that believe in the divinity of Jesus. Christians calling other Christians unchristian is just typical religious intolerance.

That's why I actually prefer talking with Catholics, because they are all for religious tolerance. Makes them a hell of a lot better than a lot of other bigoted Christians who go around saying everyone else isn't Christian unless they are in THEIR particular sect.

Apr 30 2011, 4:04 am Fire_Kame Post #34

wth is starcraft

Oh yea, sure. And making the generalization that all Catholics are better than the other Christian denominations is definitely not bigoted.

Apr 30 2011, 6:25 am rockz Post #35

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from name:K_A
So basically I have been reading and posting in some of the forums on this site, and I have noticed something.
It seems that Christianity is targeted more than any other religion.
I can't say it how I want to say it, but the annoying Christians are as annoying as the annoying mac users.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Apr 30 2011, 7:04 am Oh_Man Post #36

Quote from Fire_Kame
Oh yea, sure. And making the generalization that all Catholics are better than the other Christian denominations is definitely not bigoted.
Straw man. Don't make shit up please. Nowhere did I say that nor did I imply it.

Apr 30 2011, 9:34 am CaptainWill Post #37

Arguing that Catholics aren't Christian is like arguing that Shi'ism is not a form of Islam. In other words, it's an argument over points of theological doctrine. To a Christian who strongly believes that Catholicism is the wrong way to worship, Catholics might be considered heretics, but to everyone else they're just a flavour of Christianity. Likewise, we would tend to lump Sunni and Shi under the category of Islam, but Sunnis consider Shis heretics and vice-versa.

Let's just use common definitions here. Christianity is any form of worship which believes in the New Testament but not any further (i.e. that Muhammad was a prophet).

The question of why Christians get picked on in societies with a Christian cultural legacy has been answered already - it is the religion of which we have the most lived experience and knowledge of its scripture: we may well have had to attend Church when we were young, or sing hymns and say prayers at school. Most of us at some point have picked up a Bible and read it. We probably can't say the same thing of any other religion, so we feel more comfortable critiquing something we have some knowledge and experience of.

Also, there's more of a supply of Christians to debate with (in English) than other religions.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 10:25 am Jack Post #38

I'm actually going to change my initial argument; I think I now agree thatchristianity isn't necessarily discriminated against more than other religions, given the quantity of Christians in the world.

Red classic.

Apr 30 2011, 11:51 am Fire_Kame Post #39

wth is starcraft

Quote from Oh_Man
Quote from Fire_Kame
Straw man. Don't make shit up please. Nowhere did I say that nor did I imply it.

Why you mad? Isn't there a thread about emotion? Cussing is emotional.

Well, I think you did. I think you inferred that all Catholics are open minded and tolerant. On a related note, I went to my friend's seminary with him, and I got...weird treatment when they found out I was protestant. They were very cold and made a biting comment, "oh but you probably already knew that," at me. We left and I made the joke that they probably see me as harder to save than most pagans, and my friend laughed and for the most part agreed. :P To say everyone of a certain sect is more tolerant than everyone of another sect is an unfounded assumption.

Apr 30 2011, 3:17 pm ubermctastic Post #40

I feel like I should restate my original point.
It wasn't so much "Why are Christians tolerated less, by others?"
It was more of a question of "Why is that socially acceptable?"

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 49 >
  Back to forum