Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Final Defense Zero X3 For starcraft 2
Final Defense Zero X3 For starcraft 2
Apr 28 2011, 1:46 am
By: TubziPro  

Apr 28 2011, 1:46 am TubziPro Post #1

I want to make a FD Zero X3 Remake, problem is im noob with triggers and i need help, im not the original creator but i will give credit to him for the original and to anyone that assists me.

None.

Apr 28 2011, 2:02 am DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

If you were to do an exact copy, it would look very basic given SC2's more advanced system. A lot of that map could be done with dialogs (to purchase units or enter codes) in an updated version, however.

These wiki articles will help:
http://www.galaxywiki.net/wiki/Starter_Guide
http://www.galaxywiki.net/wiki/Dialogs
http://www.galaxywiki.net/wiki/Triggers

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 28 2011, 2:07 am TubziPro Post #3

yea but i need help seeing as im still new to the galaxy editor, i was pretty good with the old editor but im kinda lost in this 1, trigger wise. also its a pretty big challenge for me and i learn better by seeing it, not just reading, its a oretty big project if i "Modernize" it, do you think its a good idea?

None.

Apr 28 2011, 2:12 am DevliN Post #4

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Right, read up on how to do some smaller triggers, read some tutorials, and you'll soon understand. It is more difficult to help if you just generally say you need help and don't know what to do. I'm fairly certain no one here will want to make this map for you, but we can help with specific things.

You will need to understand points and regions (similar to locations in SC1) as you will be using those as your spawn areas just like SC1.

You will need to understand dialogs (linked above) as you'll have a better shot at making a better map by using them instead of moving a unit to a location to buy another unit.

You will need to understand very basic triggers that let you create a unit at a region or point, and then let you order the unit to move to another region or point.

EDIT:
To answer your question that you added, this actually isn't that big of a project given how easy SC2 triggers have made really dull tasks (via variables). Dialogs will just make it look more professional in the long run. They aren't necessary, and you can do it the easier way, but it just seems like it would be lacking.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 28 2011, 2:17 am TubziPro Post #5

I know how to use locations and some triggers, but not how to make units move from position 1 to position 2 then 3 then for, i can only do 1 to 2, and im like completely lost in dialogue.

None.

Apr 28 2011, 2:18 am Roy Post #6

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from TubziPro
yea but i need help seeing as im still new to the galaxy editor, i was pretty good with the old editor but im kinda lost in this 1, trigger wise.
Well, that's why we have an assistance forum dedicated to triggers :awesome: If you understand code at all or have some programming experience, it's very similar.

Even if you don't have experience, the wiki for triggers that Devlin posted does a great job explaining how it works.

SC1 basically had as an event for each trigger "Periodic Event," meaning it would try to run the trigger every interval for the duration of the game. The Conditions in SC2 are identical in their purpose as to SC1, as well as Actions. So, if you want a trigger to behave exactly as it would in SC1, you would do the following:

MyTrigger
      Events
            Timer - Every 1.0 seconds of Game Time
      Local Variables
      Conditions
            (Marine count for player 1, counting Complete) >= 10
      Actions
            Game - End game in Victory for player 1 (Show dialogs, Show score screen)

That's the equivalent of an SC1 trigger saying the following:

Trigger
Players
  • Player 1
  • Conditions
  • Player 1 commands at least 10 Terran Marine
  • Actions
  • End scenario in victory for current player

• Apr 28 2011, 2:19 am DevliN Post #7

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The trigger from getting a unit from 1 to 2 is the same as getting it from 2 to 3.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 28 2011, 2:31 am TubziPro Post #8

THX Roy, and umm here's the trigger i do to go to location:
    Event : Periodic Event ; Every 5 secs.
    Action : Create 1 marine at point 1 for player 1.
    Action : Select Last Created unit owned by player 1.
    Action : Order Selected units owned by player 1 (Ability (Attack)) Attack point.

Once they get to point 2 they just attack there and idk how to make it attack point 3, from point 2, because of periodic event if i run another trig to attack there the one on top will run in 5 secs making them go back to point 2.

I wanna learn how to get around that or a diffrent method to do it.

None.

Apr 28 2011, 3:13 am payne Post #9

:payne:

Reminds me someone had said he'd devote some time at elaborating a tutorial on GalaxyWiki which would be aimed at helping the sc1 mappers to move to sc2 map-editing. Can't remember who, though.

None.

Apr 28 2011, 3:28 am DevliN Post #10

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from TubziPro
    THX Roy, and umm here's the trigger i do to go to location:
    Event : Periodic Event ; Every 5 secs.
    Action : Create 1 marine at point 1 for player 1.
    Action : Select Last Created unit owned by player 1.
    Action : Order Selected units owned by player 1 (Ability (Attack)) Attack point.

Once they get to point 2 they just attack there and idk how to make it attack point 3, from point 2, because of periodic event if i run another trig to attack there the one on top will run in 5 secs making them go back to point 2.

I wanna learn how to get around that or a diffrent method to do it.
    That's a good start, but you'll need a few things to make this work better on a larger scale.

Create a Periodic trigger that goes off every 1 second. Set the actions to order any unit at Region 1 to Move to Region 2. Do this for 2 to 3, 3 to 4, and 4 to 1. That's all you should need for the movement triggers.

Create a Variable and name it "level."

Create a trigger that sets that Variable to 1.

Create a Periodic trigger that goes off ever 5 seconds (or whatever). Set the condition to Variable (the "level" variable you just made) = 1. Have it create units at Region 1.

That is the basic explanation for how to do it. From there you can expand on how you want things to be spawned and whatnot, and utilize the "level" Variable to manage which level is spawning.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
      Back to forum