Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Manufactured Landscapes
Manufactured Landscapes
Apr 15 2011, 2:35 am
By: payne  

Apr 26 2011, 11:42 pm dumbducky Post #21

The reason they are lower quality is because they are cheaper. When you have to plunk a couple hundred (or thousand, depending on how far back you go), the thing better work damn well. When printers are handed out with computers as incentives, they've reached a point when they are so cheap that they can be easily replaced should they break. If you want a good printer, be prepared to pay top dollar.

Pretty sure that's a fact. And the bulb that lasted 100 years isn't very bright. ;o
Conspiracy solved. Nobody wants a bulb that isn't bright.

Also, planned obsolescence isn't necessarily the conspiracy you make it out to be. Things get better over time, and some things break. This doesn't mean the man is out to get you. It just means that we get better at making things (see computers) or that things have gotten so cheap they can be easily replaced (a byproduct of things getting so cheap).

tits

Apr 26 2011, 11:51 pm payne Post #22

:payne:

Quote from dumbducky
Pretty sure that's a fact. And the bulb that lasted 100 years isn't very bright. ;o
Conspiracy solved. Nobody wants a bulb that isn't bright.

Also, planned obsolescence isn't necessarily the conspiracy you make it out to be. Things get better over time, and some things break. This doesn't mean the man is out to get you. It just means that we get better at making things (see computers) or that things have gotten so cheap they can be easily replaced (a byproduct of things getting so cheap).
Of course: this light bulb was developed 100 years ago... engineers never had much time to try to find more efficient ways of producing such a light bulb before they were forced to reduce its life expectancy.

What sucks is that we always have to dump our current model to buy a whole new one because the individual pieces of the old one deliberately cost more. On the Earth's scale, I don't know if you realize this, but the amount of electronic wastes is -enormous-.
One of the main problems at the moment is that consumers feels like they must follow the trend and buy the new and useless crap that has recently been set on the market.

This is all about unnecessary waste and production.

None.

Apr 27 2011, 9:52 pm dumbducky Post #23

No, its about some stupid marxist crap you read. I keep waiting for you to say fetishism of commodities, but apparently you aren't that far yet.

Of course: this light bulb was developed 100 years ago... engineers never had much time to try to find more efficient ways of producing such a light bulb before they were forced to reduce its life expectancy.
What the hell are you talking about? Did "the man" hold a gun to the head of his engineers and say "make it worse. I want my competitors to be able to make superior products"? Where is this light bulb? What proof do you have, and some video you found on youtube is not evidence.

What sucks is that we always have to dump our current model to buy a whole new one because the individual pieces of the old one deliberately cost more. On the Earth's scale, I don't know if you realize this, but the amount of electronic wastes is -enormous-.
Your point?

Unrelated question: what kind of phone do you have?

tits

Apr 28 2011, 2:12 am payne Post #24

Quote from dumbducky
No, its about some stupid marxist crap you read. I keep waiting for you to say fetishism of commodities, but apparently you aren't that far yet.

What the hell are you talking about? Did "the man" hold a gun to the head of his engineers and say "make it worse. I want my competitors to be able to make superior products"? Where is this light bulb? What proof do you have, and some video you found on youtube is not evidence.

Your point?

Unrelated question: what kind of phone do you have?
If you had watched the documentary, which provides proofs such as documents of the meetings of the established cartel, with the signature of all the companies, you probably wouldn't be trying to argue that the "random video" shows "no evidence".

My cellphone is a Samsung. My father bought it to me even though I told him I didn't want/need one.
He pays the bills every month, and as soon as he stops, I'll stop using it. ;o

None.

Apr 28 2011, 2:52 am dumbducky Post #25

I will continue. Real scholarly or investigative reporting would be published in a format that doesn't require me to spend hours of my life to find a single piece of evidence.

I'll take your claims at face value, despite the fact that they are unsubstantiated. A document that proves that a cartel met does not prove that they agreed to make their products worse.

P.S. If you're going to quote me, don't make up quotes. At no time did I say "random video" or "no evidence". I said "some video" and "not evidence".

tits

Apr 28 2011, 3:27 am payne Post #26

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

There.
Found the name by rewatching the video.
I also think the standard was 2500 hours before they were forced down to 1000 hours, which is a bit different from my 100 years claim. Sorry about that. :P

None.

Apr 28 2011, 5:48 am dumbducky Post #27

Nothing in that video supports your claim that all companies are currently conspiring to reduce efficiency. The cartel was folded over 50 years ago. What has prevented the companies from improving their products since then? Besides, the average bulb life is about 2000 hours. So even if these legendary 2500 hour bulbs do exist, they aren't a far cry from what exists, unlike the absurd 100 year claim you made earlier.

tits

Options
  Back to forum