Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: What Would You Do?
What Would You Do?
Mar 17 2011, 1:09 am
By: payne  

Mar 17 2011, 1:09 am payne Post #1

:payne:

I stumpled upon these videos on YouTube pretty randomly, and every single time I'd finish one, I'd take a minute to just think about how I'd react, and why the world's so messed up.
I watched a lot of these, but the one that touched me the most, is the following one:

The last situation, with the handicapped black woman, made me cry. In all honesty, I just couldn't believe how mad this world became.

What would you do?
I personally came to realize I probably would have slowed as I'd be approaching the homeless guy, passed by him, turned back looking at him, and then rescue him after some seconds of interior reflexions. But yes, I do feel like it'd have taken me courage, and this is very sad.
And when they shown the homeless guy with alcohol, I really thought I probably would have passed by, unless he wouldn't be moving at all, looking as if he was already dead. :/

None.

Mar 17 2011, 1:34 am UnholyUrine Post #2

Payne... are you stalking me?
Because this was exactly the stuff we went through in our social psychology class the other day...

Emotionally, I felt quite depressed as I listened and watched the videos in class (it wasn't this exact video, but it's very similar). In fact, I had to go to the washroom just to escape for a second. So, I know how you feel. It's quite sad, in a way, that the majority of people will not help others because of self-afflicting social-pressure that's completely irrelevant in an emergency situation

Scientifically, I can depart with this information.
What you see here is a very common phenomenon called the "Bystander Effect" - as I'm sure a lot of you know....
The main reasons for the Bystander Effect is
1) Social Influence (Conformity)
2) Pluralistic Ignorance (We think as though other's thoughts/emotions are different even when our behaviour's the same. Best example for us students is when a Teacher asks us if we have any questions. Almost always no one asks a question because they think that everyone else knows that answer because THEY're not asking any questions)
3) Diffusion of Responsibility

The Bystander effect has also been separated into a Decision Tree - "Bystander Intervention Decision Tree"
the decision to help or not is almost instant, but it is proven through experiments that we go through this decision tree
1) Notice
- Time pressure causes people to not notice people in need of help
2) Interpret it as an Emergency
- Pluralistic Ignorance acts at this stage. If no one's doing anything, you may feel that it's not an emergency.
3) Assume responsibility
- Again, Pluralistic Ignorance. One may feel that someone has done something already. Or that someone should be responsible
4) Know what to do
- About confidence and expertise
5) Decide to help (Weigh cost)
- Fear of Embarassment plays a BIIIG factor. We weigh the cost of whether or not asking the person slumped over if he's in trouble, because he may just be sleeping.

There are ways to increase pro-social behavior.

1) Modelling - A helpful model can increase other's likeliness to help. Unfortunately, an unhelpful model works the opposite way. This also keys with the value of education, as education provides models.

2) Being specific when asking for help - try to eradicate as much ambiguity as possible. This sort of technique is used in Emergency/Rescue training. Point to the person and yell out to him/her, and discretely tell him/her what to do. Then, ask him/her if he/she understands, and tell him/her to come back to you.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to increase people's chance of Giving help, as it is mostly based on the situation. However, when you're in a situation where you can help, one can think about the obstacles that one has to overcome. By having a more systematic way of approach, it may be easier to overcome these obstacles and go help the person/people.

Here are some additional stuff you guys can read

Murder of Kitty Genovese - A murder took place near at a suburban neighborhood. Kitty struggled with the murderer for 32 minutes, with 38 people reportedly hearing and knowing of the murder.

Notice how the person dressed as part of the people there (Dressed with suit and tie) received attention almost instantly.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 17 2011, 1:40 am by UnholyUrine.

None.

Mar 17 2011, 1:41 am Dem0n Post #3

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'd help the person without hesitation. Then, I'd have a large tirade on the streets and yell at all the assholes that didn't pay any attention to the man.

Mar 17 2011, 1:59 am Fire_Kame Post #4

wth is starcraft

Related: in collectivist societies, if you helped someone like this it would publicly shame them. And yes, it has caused problems in the past.

Mar 17 2011, 2:07 am UnholyUrine Post #5

@Kame

Unless you're talking about extreme collectivism, where like sacficing and stuff is all good... then no.

Quickly wikipedia'd Collectivism, and it says basically an interdependent society.

A study has been done to look at cultural differences in pro-social behaviour. Specifically, it was Japanese vs. Canadian people. Japanese people are considered to have an interdependent culture, while Canadian is considered independent.

What they found is that Canadians are more altruisitic (willing to help others) when it comes to helping strangers and acquaintances with no close relationship (i.e. Exchange Relationships). Basically, when relationship is based on equity, interdependent societies are less likely to help

However, they found that Japanese and Canadians are just as likely to help when it comes to people they have close relationships to each other, like relatives, close friends, etc (i.e. Communal Relationship)

None.

Mar 17 2011, 2:12 am Fire_Kame Post #6

wth is starcraft

All I'm saying is that I've even asked people who live in Japan about this, and they say its true and a few of them have seen it happen. Its expected.

I'm not saying that they won't help family/close friends. That's expected. But a complete stranger on the bus? They'd be ignored, because they're not part of the group.

Edit: it has led to technology like this...

http://gizmodo.com/#!313221/japanese-anti-rapemugging-dress-transforms-into-vending-machine-disguise
http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/antigroping-phone-tool-a-big-hit-in-japan/2007/10/25/1192941209546.html#_blank

Mar 17 2011, 2:22 am The Starport Post #7

Edit: Never mind.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 17 2011, 4:21 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Mar 17 2011, 2:53 am ClansAreForGays Post #8

Just watched 2 hours of "What would you do" in related videos and cried manly tears.

Mar 17 2011, 5:24 am payne Post #9

Quote from Fire_Kame
Related: in collectivist societies, if you helped someone like this it would publicly shame them. And yes, it has caused problems in the past.
I'm not sure I understand why this happens. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Just watched 2 hours of "What would you do" in related videos and cried manly tears.
I just finished wathcing -all- the episodes. :><:

Quote from UnholyUrine
Payne... are you stalking me?
:shifty:

None.

Mar 17 2011, 6:31 am Fire_Kame Post #10

wth is starcraft

Well, its the idea that someone else noticed your mistake, and in general collectivist societies do not like getting noticed or cause problems. Its easier to ignore certain things - like groping - than to have attention called to yourself and the situation.

Mar 17 2011, 4:05 pm payne Post #11

Quote from Fire_Kame
Well, its the idea that someone else noticed your mistake, and in general collectivist societies do not like getting noticed or cause problems. Its easier to ignore certain things - like groping - than to have attention called to yourself and the situation.
I'm still not sure I understand why a collectivist society would have that kind of behaviour.
Why do they not like getting noticed or cause problems?

None.

Mar 17 2011, 6:13 pm Fire_Kame Post #12

wth is starcraft

Because it is in the best interest of the group to not cause problems. Ever. It upsets the status quo. I remember reading about a Korean airline who had a horrible safety/crash record. They'd listen to the blackbox and almost every time the copilot said something like, "this is pretty bad weather," or "there is turbulence" stuff like that, but never did the copilot say, "turn the plane around" or "we can't go up today." People were stumped. It turned out the copilots didn't want to talk back to the pilot - who was their superior. They'd rather crash than speak against them. Anyways, interestingly enough, they 'fixed' the problem by mandating pilots to talk in English. For some reason switching languages removed the status quo without upsetting it, and it empowered copilots to speak up.

Mar 20 2011, 2:02 am TiKels Post #13

5) Decide to help (Weigh cost)
- Fear of Embarassment plays a BIIIG factor. We weigh the cost of whether or not asking the person slumped over if he's in trouble, because he may just be sleeping.
I did this once.

I fell asleep in target on one of the benches in there and someone asked me if I was alright.

I was tired. Shut up!

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Options
  Back to forum