Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Donald Trump running for President 2012
Donald Trump running for President 2012
Mar 16 2011, 4:56 am
By: MillenniumArmy  

Mar 16 2011, 4:56 am MillenniumArmy Post #1

In case you've been living under a rock and don't know who this guy is

I just now found out about this. I've heard some talks about it for the past couple months but didn't think it was serious at all. I watched a segment on Comedy Central where it featured Donald Trump (all these celebrities were roasting him, believe it was called "Roast Trump" or something) and it turns out he really is running for president in 2012 as a Republican. In fact he even gave a presidential campaign speech at the end (but of course, imbued with comedy central-ish talk).

All I know about him is that he is a rich and pompous businessman who is either loved or hated by many so at this moment I can't really express an opinion about him but I will definitely do some research on this guy and his poltical/economical views. One thing I can confidently say is that I much much prefer this guy over Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney. I just hope that everyone (including me) can get an informed opinion about him and his views and not based on his TV popularity.

Here's his (campaign) website

None.

Mar 16 2011, 5:14 am KrayZee Post #2

Awfully reminds me of Meg Whitman running for governor.

None.

Mar 16 2011, 6:43 am Decency Post #3

Finally someone who epitomizes the nature of our government: bought and paid for by corporations. Also: a complete joke.

I wonder if it's illegal for him to "lobby" for his own campaign. Supreme Court sure fucked that one up.

None.

Mar 16 2011, 7:04 am UnholyUrine Post #4

It's more about getting attention than anything else.

None.

Mar 16 2011, 4:20 pm Vrael Post #5

Quote from name:FaZ-
Finally someone who epitomizes the nature of our government: bought and paid for by corporations. Also: a complete joke.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Also, it's not a joke. Trump is clearly a very competent person, something I'd like to see in office. He's a washington outsider, can finance himself and has his own ideas about how things should be run. Political inexperience might hinder him a little, but I'm sure he'll quickly assemble a team to help him get right over that hurdle. I hope he runs.

None.

Mar 16 2011, 4:36 pm DevliN Post #6

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I doubt he'll be taken seriously, ultimately. KrayZee is right to mention Meg Whitman, but she actually had a chance of winning. I really doubt Trump will have a chance. If anything he'll go the Ross Perot route and run as independent when he doesn't win the Republican primary.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 16 2011, 6:03 pm Decency Post #7

Quote from Vrael
You say that like it's a bad thing. Also, it's not a joke. Trump is clearly a very competent person, something I'd like to see in office. He's a washington outsider, can finance himself and has his own ideas about how things should be run. Political inexperience might hinder him a little, but I'm sure he'll quickly assemble a team to help him get right over that hurdle. I hope he runs.

Yeah, that'll go real well for the public sector. Think about his priorities for just a second and then figure out how many people in this country benefit from his inevitable policies.

None.

Mar 16 2011, 7:07 pm rayNimagi Post #8

Looking at demographic trends, I don't think Trump could win over the minority voters that helped Obama win in 2008.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Mar 16 2011, 7:19 pm lil-Inferno Post #9

Just here for the pie

He's competent but not suitable for a position as high as president. Maybe a Senator or governor. Arnold was an actor and he's a governor, so why can't a businessman be one?

Mar 16 2011, 7:37 pm DevliN Post #10

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from lil-Inferno
He's competent but not suitable for a position as high as president. Maybe a Senator or governor. Arnold was an actor and he's a governor, so why can't a businessman be one?
Most Governors came from a business or law background, so I don't think anyone would dispute that idea. :)

For what its worth about ol' Arnold, he was a terrible Governor, but at least he changed his views while in office once he actually understood what was going on.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 16 2011, 7:40 pm NicholasBeige Post #11

Don't disrespect the Governator.

Besides, the best thing to come of all of this has to be Snoop Dogg saying that it's not the first time Donald Trump has tried to move black people out of their house. hahaha

None.

Mar 16 2011, 7:49 pm The Starport Post #12

Quote from name:Cardinal
Don't disrespect the Governator.

Besides, the best thing to come of all of this has to be Snoop Dogg saying that it's not the first time Donald Trump has tried to move black people out of their house. hahaha
lolololololol

None.

Mar 16 2011, 11:50 pm Fire_Kame Post #13

wth is starcraft

I've always felt that the presidency needed a businessman/woman. But Trump? I don't like that idea at all. I'd prefer someone who has retired and sold his shares in everything.

Mar 17 2011, 12:09 am ClansAreForGays Post #14

I'm totally confident Romney is going to crush everyone else in the primaries without Huckabee around.

Mar 18 2011, 9:02 am Decency Post #15

I don't think Romney and Huckabee share much of the same Republican demographic... do you actually think the latter was a top contender? =o

None.

Mar 18 2011, 9:06 am DevliN Post #16

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Huckabee was probably the only Republican candidate I've liked in the past 20 years, so no. :D

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 18 2011, 9:30 am Decency Post #17

... seriously? He seems like a decent enough guy, but he's essentially a braindead fundamentalist turned politician. I don't think I've ever given him give a substantive argument on anything but weight loss, and that's because he used to be a fat braindead fundamentalist.

Holy christ he actually was the frontrunner, that scares me:
A June 2009 CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national poll showed Huckabee as the 2012 presidential co-favorite of the Republican electorate along with Palin and Romney.[80] An October 2009 poll of Republicans by Rasmussen Reports put Huckabee in the lead with 29%, followed by Romney on 24% and Palin on 18%.[81]

In a November 2009 Gallup poll, Huckabee was shown as the leading Republican contender for 2012.[82]

In November 2010 CNN projected in a poll that Huckabee would defeat Obama in a hypothetical 2012 contest.[83] In a Rasmussen poll taken January 11–14, 2011, Huckabee was even with Obama: 43% - 43%.[84]

Thankfully he doesn't seem to be running, according to media?

None.

Mar 18 2011, 8:57 pm Roy Post #18

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

This reminds me of Hulk Hogan's announcement of candidacy; I doubt Trump will be any more successful in his campaign.

And if Hogan's attempt is news to you: exactly.

Mar 18 2011, 9:27 pm Decency Post #19

@ Devlin

What positions of Huckabee are different from other Republicans running that makes you prefer him?

None.

Mar 18 2011, 10:13 pm DevliN Post #20

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

@ Devlin

What positions of Huckabee are different from other Republicans running that makes you prefer him?
He gave a shit about the environment, which I thought was interesting as it seems like no Republican candidate was willing to do that. Despite being a devout religious fan who opposed abortion, he took the teachings of the bible to heart and seemed to care for the average Americans, rather than claim to care and then prove otherwise. Bush clearly appealed to the average American but came off as an idiot to everyone else. Huckabee appealed to them as well, but didn't really come off as an idiot to me. He seemed humble. Plus he plays some mean slap bass.

To clarify, I am not a Republican, so my opinion on Republicans doesn't really matter, and I don't care about getting into a political debate should one come up. I was pointing out originally that he's the only Republican I've ever actually liked, not necessarily that I'd vote for him or anything. :D

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 18 2011, 10:28 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
  Back to forum