Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: SW's Music Corner
SW's Music Corner
Mar 11 2011, 6:34 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >

May 5 2011, 4:57 am EzTerix Post #41

Of course:

Sort of like metal/j rockish sound, with a touch of video game magic ;)

None.

May 6 2011, 12:04 am UnholyUrine Post #42

ah u reminded me of one

and this one i'm actually being srs
srsly

None.

May 14 2011, 3:13 am TiKels Post #43

To get a beginning feel.

Something else I just recently listened to by him.

One of the most deceptively intense pieces ;o

Love me some ives....

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

May 14 2011, 6:57 am UnholyUrine Post #44

@Tikels

that reminds me of this:

None.

May 14 2011, 2:29 pm TiKels Post #45

I can see how you're vaguely drawing the comparison, but it's not supposed to be like that...

Ives was just a crazy composer... He used a lot of tones that didn't fit in theoretically, but he made them work.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

May 14 2011, 3:42 pm Sand Wraith Post #46

she/her

Only UU's song satisfies my ADHD. Tikels, your shit is too mellow.

May 14 2011, 8:26 pm UnholyUrine Post #47

The assumption one :awesome:, or the Death note one :hurr:?

Here's one, in case you're a Nintendo fan

And here's two that.. if you're a girl, or, judging from some of your signature..

.. or really like vegetable juice... or lurk 4chan :P
(personally i can't stand the videos, but the musics' great)

EDIT: Btw, I'd classify these as EPIC as well.. if you were wondering :awesome:

*sigh*
okay, I got one for Zelda, since your signature contains Midna as well :P (talk about adhd..)
BUt I personally hate it... but, it may satisfy your ADHD.
warning, it starts off a lil slow.

... And here's one if you...
are narcissistic enough to believe that your... lil brother.. is that thrilling :P
take this next one with a grain of salt..
and warning.. you cannot unsee this.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on May 14 2011, 8:43 pm by UnholyUrine.

None.

May 14 2011, 8:44 pm TiKels Post #48

Quote from Sand Wraith
Only UU's song satisfies my ADHD. Tikels, your shit is too mellow.
Did you even to listen to the first and last one all the way through? The middle one, IMO, isn't that great.

In charlie rutlage, at 0:55 on, you cannot tell me that it is not intense.

-NudeRaider

May 14 2011, 8:55 pm UnholyUrine Post #49

@TIkels,

I've heard the last one through
As a pianist, I have to say it's pretty contemporary. :P
I like it.

But from Sand Wraith's pov, it's probably not what he's looking for..
I bet Rachmaninoff would be more akin to what he's looking for (minus all the concert traditions n mandatory slow middle part etc.)...
like this..

edit:

Here's a contemporary piece that I've liked so much that I actually played it for my exam ...

It's funny to note that at 0:44, the music sheet actually says "As fast as possible"
(obviously, i didn't play as fast as him lol)

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 14 2011, 9:02 pm by UnholyUrine.

None.

May 14 2011, 11:06 pm Sand Wraith Post #50

she/her

I listen to the majority of the ones that have been posted, or at least the beginning to around the middle; max 2min. If I'm not satisfied by then, I'm usually not satisfied by the end.

In UU's second post prior to this one, I listened to about 10s of the first two videos, then stopped, because as usual, he's trolling.

I gave all of the pieces that you posted, Tikels, that window of opportunity, and I didn't really like any of them (not to say I disliked them, but I was relatively indifferent).

epic (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/epic)
noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.

of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

Not the colloquial, UU-epic.

intense (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intense)
existing or occurring in a high or extreme degree: intense heat.
acute, strong, or vehement, as sensations, feelings, or emotions: intense anger.

of an extreme kind; very great, as in strength, keenness, severity, or the like: an intense gale.

having a characteristic quality in a high degree: The intense sunlight was blinding.
strenuous or earnest, as activity, exertion, diligence, or thought: an intense life.
exhibiting a high degree of some quality or action.
having or showing great strength, strong feeling, or tension, as a person, the face, or language.
susceptible to strong emotion; emotional: an intense person.
(of color) very deep: intense red.
Photography. dense (def. 4).

Post 0:55 in the last song you suggested, might be epic in the seventh sense, but again, was not what I was looking for, and doesn't really compare to what I have in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGinNfYhRM&fmt=18 - this, in comparison, is a bad recording, and supplies both epic and intense, though the both aspects feel a bit diluted compared to the original. Keeps my attention though, being fast-paced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AHLzW4kks - The original. Supplies both feelings of epic and intensity, in a haunting, ghostly manner. Keeps my attention because of its flow from one haunting part to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLGLuYeYKsk - Intense badassery, but not epic. Even though I love this song, I wouldn't call it epic in a serious manner. Keeps my attention because of its fast tempo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcrql6z2lw - This classifies more in the epic category. Feels like a hero rising up to some sort of challenge. Good, frequent build-ups keeps my attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQt5HTPnIg - For the sake of proving that I don't only like metal. Also, because I was shown this. The beginning: epic. It is a god tired of the world and in the process of destroying it. In this epic tale, there is no hero, just a god destroying everything. Strong beat and tempo, and the music itself keeps my attention. I can also call this intense because of how strong that feeling in the beginning is and how well it is carried through. However, in reality, I doubt I'd be able to sit through the whole piece without sleeping. Especially around 3:50 - I get bored.

The first piece you recommended in your last post, Tikels, is pretty cool, and is "intense" with respect to how well it reminds me of "Sloth" (in a capital-sins sense - call me out if I'm wrong I guess, though I know nothing). Somethign that I'd have to force myself to sit through, as it is so unbearably slow and boring (but well done anyway).

May 15 2011, 2:53 am TiKels Post #51

First time I listened to "Like a Sick Eagle" it put me on this frame of mind that was just so... ridiculous. I felt like everything around me was deteriorating, it was crazy.

My perspective on music is as follows.
Some things are objectively good, while others are a matter of personal preference. How receptive you are to music also varies though... Some days I feel it more.

There are of course, more complicated classifications, but good music (as opposed to music that someone thinks is good) boils down to those two things.

IMO some music really, really, is just shallow appeal of "sound" rather than "music", and has no value apart from this. I feel this way about a lot of music, particularly metal (not to say that ALL metal is bad, it's probably my favorite genre ;o)

-NudeRaider

May 15 2011, 3:11 am Sand Wraith Post #52

she/her

To me, good music communicates an idea. Whether I like it or not is another matter; which is why I hesitate to say anything you post is bad, because the majority IS good, but it's not talking about anything I'm interested in. Which is why I'm trying to make clear now that the subject of the idea should be "epic" and "intense(ly dark, badass, or otherwise)."

I mean, it's not like I ever posted I wanted "good" music; I just assume it is good because I like it. Anyway, I don't really think about music too much. I just like listening to what I like (makes sense amirite).

But since I'm ADHD, sound plays a huge role in it. Try posting some bad and good harpsichord, I bet I couldn't tell the difference.

EDIT:

I should probably take offense in what you say, but I can only bother to say that you sounded really pretentious and should provide examples or elaborating further so that you sound at least credible; I'm getting the vibe that you know what's good and bad music, when really that sounds like bull.

The song you mentioned was pretty good, but my life's been there/is there, so it doesn't really strike any particular chord.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 15 2011, 3:18 am by Sand Wraith.

Jun 3 2011, 1:39 am TiKels Post #53

It's like a fine painting or a well-written piece of literature. It's good because it's well done and inspired as well as inspirational to the trained listener. It's not something that's easily sourceable nor provable, because it's something that you cannot tell someone to do, it's something that they must choose to do, and it can take hours of listening to start to understand more and more.

It's like this, the more you listen (not HEAR, but LISTEN, this is another concept that is hard to define, but it's like the difference between good and bad harpsichord), the greater your perception of the music is, the more receptive you are to the different ideas. The more you set a sort of mental stage, understanding, the more you begin to grasp what is going on. I cannot say that I appreciate all music perfectly. But every day I push farther into the realm of music. If you want something that is an example of what is musically challenging, here ya go. I had two musicians, independent of each other, upon voicing my opinion of Charles Ives, suggest this to me.

Wow I'm in fucking love with commas and juttery sentences today.
Reccomended that you close eyes if you're interested, to reduce mental distraction. Turn up loud, but not too loud unless you have a super sound system, because the strings are quiet but the other instruments are normal-high volume, and it will cause clipping if too loud.

I only post here to show you something that you MAY consider epic. It's a little long, some parts I disagree with entirely (i see them as being annoying), others I find haunting.

Hopefully you may glean something out of it. If you choose to listen to it, listen to all of it. In one sitting. Otherwise, don't bother.

Opinions?

-NudeRaider

Jun 3 2011, 2:07 am UnholyUrine Post #54

EPIC nowadays have many meanings.

here's a srs one.

None.

Jun 4 2011, 12:53 am The Starport Post #55

Slowly kicks up at 1:55, but doesn't really get started until 3:12 or so.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2011, 7:14 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jun 4 2011, 1:16 am UnholyUrine Post #56

hmm
too bad this is censored.
There's a way better version out there...

None.

Jun 18 2011, 4:38 am Sand Wraith Post #57

she/her

Only listened up to 2:44 of Dream Theatre - Finally Free. Not my style, doesn't really pick up.
My opinion is that it's not what I'm looking for.

Skipped UU's videos. Please go away already. :bye1:

Listened to Conan. Lives up to what I mean by "epic" for the most part. Definitely picks up towards the end. It's all right, but I'm not gonna look into it further.

-

Widening up the criteria a bit; I'm in desperate need of metal with really insane, awesome riffs.

Jun 19 2011, 7:40 am UnholyUrine Post #58

Pfft.. When I say I'm being srs.. I mean it..
go watch the Chop Suey one.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 8:07 am Oh_Man Post #59

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Way better dubsteps for Zelda:

Jun 19 2011, 5:03 pm TiKels Post #60

Quote from Sand Wraith
Only listened up to 2:44 of Dream Theatre - Finally Free. Not my style, doesn't really pick up.
My opinion is that it's not what I'm looking for.
It picks up at 4:00. AND THAT will be epic, I can almost guarantee. Gives me chills to listen to.

Hence why I said listen to the entire thing. You gotta get the feel for it, which is what the first 4 minutes are. And then it goes epic.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2011, 5:09 pm by TiKels.

-NudeRaider

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >
  Back to forum