Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Suggestion for Balance?
Suggestion for Balance?
Feb 8 2011, 10:50 pm
By: NicholasBeige  

May 9 2011, 4:26 pm NicholasBeige Post #21

Quote from Sacrieur
Sure, 6 Barracks, Refinery, Tech Lab, Reaper was more powerful than a 6 pool in most maps. But there is absolutely no utility to the Reaper any more.

lol wut? Reapers + nitro packs are killer harass.
If you read the OP you'd understand that the post is 3 months old and refers to the patch that stopped terrans opening with a Barracks on 6 supply, a Refinery on 6 and a Tech Lab on 7 supply, then rushing reaper speed and 2 or 3 reapers. In that situation there was nothing that Zerg, Protoss or Terran could do unless they go like 11 Spine Crawler in the mineral line (or Bunker/Photon Cannon). The patch also made the speed upgrade require a factory, which renders speed reapers a mid game luxury. When you'd much rather be making tanks, marauders, marines, medivacs...

My argument was that the one change should have been made: either Barracks requiring Supply Depot OR the Nitro Packs requiring the Factory. Not both. Because overall, it reduces a Terran's opening options, and limits his early harassment to a bunker rush or stim push (which is now being pushed back again according to the PTR).

Quote from name:FaZ-
One Stalker, one Marauder, or one Roach almost completely nullify small amounts of Reaper harasses. It's rarely worth a commitment to make more than one or two and by the time you have a Factory out there's not much that it can do.
Precisely.

Quote from name:FaZ-
I've heard mass Reaper counters gasless Zerg very well, so we may see a resurgence there.
Yep, it's true that Reapers do counter gas-less Zerg. But not 'very well'. Spine Crawler placement and a queen or two with Transfuse can fend off reapers easily - at least in any sort of numbers you can expect prior to Roaches being available. Your queen's cant chase them, so your best bet is just to leave a queen or two in your mineral line - or your Spine Crawler.

With the benefit of hindsight, I still think Terran has simply too many 'viable' units. Reapers, Hellions and Banshees all have good harassment qualities. Then the Medivac adds Marines, Marauders and Siege Tanks to their arsenal for harassing mineral lines / distracting / annoying opponents.

Quote from Roy
Once the Zerg takes to the air, force fields become less useful, and sentry/blink stalker combos can be defeated with Infestors.
You forget that Sentries Guardian Shield and a +1 armor/shield upgrade pretty much makes your Stalkers immune to Mutalisk bounce damage, and reduces the initial damage by 30%. Combine this with Blinking as he retreats his Mutalisks and you're pretty safe from direct Muta assaults. It is rare that your opponent will be able to afford a mutalisk-ball AND infestors, unless he has like triple fast expanded and you didn't scout at all :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 9 2011, 4:32 pm by Cardinal.

None.

May 9 2011, 5:42 pm Roy Post #22

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from name:Cardinal
Quote from Roy
Once the Zerg takes to the air, force fields become less useful, and sentry/blink stalker combos can be defeated with Infestors.
You forget that Sentries Guardian Shield and a +1 armor/shield upgrade pretty much makes your Stalkers immune to Mutalisk bounce damage, and reduces the initial damage by 30%. Combine this with Blinking as he retreats his Mutalisks and you're pretty safe from direct Muta assaults. It is rare that your opponent will be able to afford a mutalisk-ball AND infestors, unless he has like triple fast expanded and you didn't scout at all :P
Well, Mutalisks are primarily harass units (great way to hurt opposing economy and make them invest in static defenses), and Muta/Ling/Infestor is one of the standard builds. If they're going mass Blink Stalkers, you should probably favor Infestors over Mutas.

Options
  Back to forum