Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: TESV: Skyrim
TESV: Skyrim
Dec 12 2010, 5:47 am
By: Fisty
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20 21 >

Dec 17 2012, 12:21 pm Sacrieur Post #381

Still Napping

Quote from poison_us
Try using the Frostfall mod, if you want a real challenge.

Oh hellz yeah, with this and deadly dragons no one will venture outside MUAHAHAHA.

None.

Dec 17 2012, 2:08 pm poison_us Post #382

Back* from the grave

I dunno, never tried deadly dragons. Fighting them unequipped was challenging enough for me.

For fun, get the "Cloaks of Skyrim" mod. Adds cloaks to the game, and you can enchant them as well. Even works with Frostfall (they give you more exposure resistance like all apparel). Though it seriously annoyed me that they made it impossible as part of vanilla Skyrim to make or buy cloaks. It's like what the fuck?

Dec 17 2012, 10:36 pm Fire_Kame Post #383

wth is starcraft

You liked Skyrim more than Morrowind? I wish they'd reboot Morrowind - that game would be dope with their modern engine (and they might actually finish the evil main line).

Dec 18 2012, 1:05 am Sacrieur Post #384

Still Napping

Quote from Fire_Kame
You liked Skyrim more than Morrowind? I wish they'd reboot Morrowind - that game would be dope with their modern engine (and they might actually finish the evil main line).

Yes, morrowind wasn't fleshed out enough to give me a fair shake in the open RPG sense. Everyone seems to herald it in the same way they herald OoT as being the best Zelda.

Fucking dragons man. Fuckin' dragons.

---

I can't get screenies to work, but I got water mod to work. Also running frostfall with cloaks (on hardcore mode), basically means no fast travel, cold water can kill me, weather can be pretty brutal, etc. Combined with deadly dragons and master difficulty, the game has certainly become far more challenging.

Elesis has four jobs in the MMO: knight, spear, sword master, and savior. So that's one handed weapon option, two handed spear, a great sword (pretty much just grab the largest sword you can find), or two one handed swords. I chose the two sword route (savior), so I can lash out damage like nuts. And it's true, I really can dish it out, I just have trouble staying alive. I'm having to put a lot of points in stamina because so long as I remain agile enough, I can swoop in and kill just about anything without taking too much damage. Probably still going to stick to heavy armor though. At least for now.

None.

Dec 18 2012, 3:03 am Fire_Kame Post #385

wth is starcraft

For the time, Morrowind was very innovative and did a decent job at showcasing what the xbox was capable of...but like I said, that's why I would love a reboot.

Dec 18 2012, 3:24 am Dem0n Post #386

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I've also heard that Morrowind put a lot more emphasis on alchemy and other things that Skyrim made kind of obsolete, which is why many Elder Scrolls 'veterans' call Skyrim casual.

Dec 18 2012, 3:36 am Fire_Kame Post #387

wth is starcraft

It wasn't just that it had more skills (for example, you had athletics which you earned by running and acrobatics by jumping/falling) but it also was harder to grind...for example, magicka didn't regenerate automatically; you had to rest to get it back, sometimes for days in game time...it was annoying. I think it was a good move removing those things, but I also liked how much more variety there was from loot you got while dungeon crawling.

Dec 18 2012, 3:37 am Dem0n Post #388

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You can't tell me the acrobatics skill is something you think actually added to the game. :P

Dec 18 2012, 3:40 am Fire_Kame Post #389

wth is starcraft

...if you read, I said it was good they removed them?

Dec 18 2012, 5:11 am Wing Zero Post #390

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from Dem0n
You can't tell me the acrobatics skill is something you think actually added to the game. :P
Man I had more hops then a basketball player in that game. 'Nuff said.

Dec 18 2012, 5:15 am MadZombie Post #391

Acrobatics would have been great if they really used it properly. Like allowing you to enter certain parts of dungeons or buildings because you were acrobatic enough or were a good enough magician to could cast a powerful levitation for some magi assassins or just regular assassin. I think besides jumping really high and moving really fast morrowind also let you move up through steeper mountains. Acrobatics was just ahead of it's time :c.

None.

Dec 18 2012, 5:43 am poison_us Post #392

Back* from the grave

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Fire_Kame

Yes, morrowind wasn't fleshed out enough to give me a fair shake in the open RPG sense. Everyone seems to herald it in the same way they herald OoT as being the best Zelda.

Fucking dragons man. Fuckin' dragons.
I loved OoT but I wouldn't call it the best, though it was great. I did like it more than any previous Zelda game, but since the series is still alive and well, I'm not going to call any game the best :P

I've got Oblivion and Morrowind, though I barely played either. Maybe I aught to :/

Quote from Sacrieur
I can't get screenies to work, but I got water mod to work. Also running frostfall with cloaks (on hardcore mode), basically means no fast travel, cold water can kill me, weather can be pretty brutal, etc. Combined with deadly dragons and master difficulty, the game has certainly become far more challenging.
If you use print screen, go to your Skyrim directory. Should be right there. If not, go to Skyrim.exe, disable desktop composition and it won't spit out a black screen anymore.

Also, good that it's more challenging. I love how it literally forces you to stop and take a rest in a hot tent, especially if you're on a mountain or way up north. Have you gotten one of the hunger mods? Though every one I've seen makes it almost unplayable, that may be up your alley.

Now that I've beaten the game with several different styles (including: blacksmith-type [focus is on smithing, enchanting perks], ranger [archery, one-handed and sneak], and mage [...uh, magic? :pokerface:]), I've got to say the easiest by far would be a dual-wield blacksmith type. The funniest, though, is an assassin. 100 sneak, and you can hide basically on top of someone and they'll never find you. Makes me feel like Sam Fisher, because WE CAN FUCKING SEE THE GLOWING LIGHTS BUT NOBODY ELSE CAN AND IT'S NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL AND :rage:

Seriously though, if you get the Sneak Tools mod, it makes assassinating so much better. Slitting throats, masks hiding your identity for separate bounties, and some nice additional weapons like a rope arrow (actually, might be immersive weapons...). Shoot it, and a climbable rope appears (haven't actually tested this enough to break it yet). Only problem is, the mod can cause issues with some people not wanting to talk to you (it's a buggy feature - if you've got a mask on, you look sneaky sneaky, so basically everyone but guards will ignore you. Makes sense to me.). Only NPC that's done this to me is Ulfberth War-Bear...but I can just talk to Skyforge Sam anyways. And run down to Riverwood.

Oh, and for the lulz, get Bandit Raid. Because it's been too long since we've had a good one.

Dec 18 2012, 4:06 pm Sacrieur Post #393

Still Napping

Elesis looks upon Skyrim during a foggy, overcast morning.

---

So I tried out Total Realism - Basic Needs. I can totally see why it would make the game unplayable. I'm disabling it because unlike frostfall, it suffers from the problem of tedium. But pretty neat. I've plenty of challenge already with what I have.

Elesis is pretty much a dual wield blacksmith. She sure has some excellent DPS, threw in some enchanting for extra pwnage. Tears through common soldiers, bandits, and criminals well enough.

I'll get those other mods with I play Lass, but I'm getting more of an itch for magic, so that may mean Arme or Ronan next.

None.

Dec 18 2012, 5:53 pm Fire_Kame Post #394

wth is starcraft

So I hate to be that guy, but I want to paint Solitude....and I've been looking for a really really nice, high res version I can use as a guide (I assume I'll still have to use other things as guides, such as pictures of real trees. I'm thinking I want to paint it from this angle, but the aliasing on the walls is driving me batty (and will make it really hard to texture when I paint it). Do you think you'd be able to find a way to take a high res screenshot and email it to me without the atmospheric distortion or the aliasing on the walls/buildings? (Or actually just a wall with better texture and I can fill in the blanks from there?)

If not that's fine. :kame:

Quote from MadZombie
Acrobatics would have been great if they really used it properly. Like allowing you to enter certain parts of dungeons or buildings because you were acrobatic enough or were a good enough magician to could cast a powerful levitation for some magi assassins or just regular assassin. I think besides jumping really high and moving really fast morrowind also let you move up through steeper mountains. Acrobatics was just ahead of it's time :c.

I agree with this; that'd be really awesome. Actually if you played the Mournhold expac for Morrowind you had to have really fast travel because you had to outrun a centrifuge to get to a door - the only way up there otherwise was to jump if you were light enough/high enoug acrobatics. And then the boss fight at the end you had to out run flames.

Dec 18 2012, 6:11 pm Sacrieur Post #395

Still Napping

Yeah, as soon as I find Solitude :P

I can pump up aliasing as high as you want for a screenie. 32x here we come!

None.

Dec 18 2012, 6:41 pm Fire_Kame Post #396

wth is starcraft

Sweet :D I look forward to it.

Dec 18 2012, 9:21 pm Zycorax Post #397

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Aww, reading all this makes me want to play Skyrim again :( Too bad I just went home for Christmas, and I doubt the old computer I've got here would run it very well.

Dec 19 2012, 12:17 am Roy Post #398

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Sacrieur
The carriage near the Whiterun Stables (or any other Major Hold area) will take you to Major and Minor Holds, including Solitude, for a small amount of coin. Be warned that the Minor Holds (Dawnstar, Falkreath, Morthal, and Winterhold) will be one-way trips (not a huge deal as you can fast-travel back). The location of Solitude is also already revealed on your map (you just cannot fast-travel to it until you visit for the first time), so it shouldn't be too hard to find. :P

Dec 19 2012, 12:37 am Sacrieur Post #399

Still Napping

Quote from Roy
Quote from Sacrieur
The carriage near the Whiterun Stables (or any other Major Hold area) will take you to Major and Minor Holds, including Solitude, for a small amount of coin. Be warned that the Minor Holds (Dawnstar, Falkreath, Morthal, and Winterhold) will be one-way trips (not a huge deal as you can fast-travel back). The location of Solitude is also already revealed on your map (you just cannot fast-travel to it until you visit for the first time), so it shouldn't be too hard to find. :P

No fast travel in frostfall, and with good reason. The weather I'd have to travel through to get there is pretty arduous. It's also quite a distance away, and I'm not about to be ambushed by something really strong with this difficulty. A normal frostbite spider and one shot me with venom. I pretty much die in one to two hits from most strong things. Course, I feel like a complete badass just killing trolls by myself. Really makes you feel heroic to have to pull out all the stops to up end some guy, and guards etc. aren't some walk in the park (and neither are dragons!).

But there's none of this "Oh look at me I'm super saiyan dragonborn can't touch this." Because the fact of the matter is, they can touch you, and they will leave you out to dry. I've gone out of my way to avoid conflicts before (sneaking around a different route, sprinting away) because a fight was far more trouble than it's worth (what, a handful of gold coins, roi plz). You also go out of your way to sleep so you squeeze some extra points out of being well rested.

I'm on Hrothgar right now, and the weather is pretty terrible, but easily surivable. Seems to love to rain all the time.

Elesis investigating a barrow. Ghost says leave. Dragonborn ain't 'fraid no ghost. You can really see the realistic lighting mod work its magic in dark places like this one. It's actually dark. And spookier.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 19 2012, 12:48 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Dec 19 2012, 1:06 am Fire_Kame Post #400

wth is starcraft

Oh...sac should do an lp...the quest for solitude.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20 21 >
  Back to forum