Staredit Network > Forums > GalaxyWiki Project > Topic: GalaxyWiki.net
GalaxyWiki.net
Nov 10 2010, 7:59 pm
By: DevliN
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >

Mar 11 2011, 11:35 pm DevliN Post #101

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I noticed, as I've been deleting/banning them. I have about 5 extensions running to try to prevent it, and though the attacks seem smaller than before, they are still getting through. I'm looking for more ways to prevent the attacks, but so far we're running everything suggested. The one upside to it is that none of their articles (deleted or not) show up in our master list of SC2 articles since we are using Categories to sort them. The main thing I've been looking for each time is uploaded images, but that has ceased since I started adding the extensions.

I've also been looking for possibly a way to require Admins to accept new user registrations or new articles. Though that sucks if someone wants to join and post immediately, it will completely prevent this.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 13 2011, 8:56 pm DevliN Post #102

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quick update:
Everyone has to verify emails before they can post. This wont help a tremendous amount, but I added it anyway.

I also found an extension that requires Admins/Bureaucrats to accept new user registrations. This will completely reduce the spam to just spamming user accounts rather than articles. The issue with it is that it gave me an error when I tried to implement it, so I'll have to look for a way to get it running.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 22 2011, 5:11 pm DevliN Post #103

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I never got the extension to work properly without giving errors when people register on the Wiki, so I'll just do it manually instead. I created a "Members" user group that can edit, create, upload, and so on. I'll have to manually change new users to this group, but ultimately that will be easier than banning and deleting accounts daily. To help with the banning and deleting, I've also created a "Ninja" usergroup that auto-bans and deletes content by any account in it.

I'll look into setting up an email notification so I can quickly add legit members to the members group, but until then anyone new who joins (which, at this rate, seems like a rarity) will have to wait to post or edit articles until MasterCassim or I change their user group.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 5 2011, 10:34 am Jack Post #104

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Devlin, you said in the shoutbox that we should use the starcraft 1's wiki trigger template. A better idea would be to convert the vgshorts trigger bbcode thing to a wiki template so people can copy and paste triggers in.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 5 2011, 3:41 pm DevliN Post #105

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That would be a better idea, but I have no idea how to do that and never will. So in the meantime, a snazzy looking trigger template would be nice. I started it, but DJC's looks a lot better than mine.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 5 2011, 4:01 pm payne Post #106

:payne:

... and the vgshort dude died. :P

None.

Apr 5 2011, 4:44 pm DevliN Post #107

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

He seems to be updating VGShorts, if only we could get him to come back... :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 5 2011, 8:45 pm Jack Post #108

I've emailed him for the bbcode source. At the very least we can integrate it with SEN now we have a coder.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 5 2011, 8:47 pm DevliN Post #109

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just not sure how we'd get it into the Wiki, ultimately. :(

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 20 2011, 2:48 am DevliN Post #110

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Updated the meta tags and page title for more efficient search engine results. Based on the Google webmaster tools, our clicks for search results have gone up over 80% over the past month. Not sure what happened in that time.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 20 2011, 2:56 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 20 2011, 3:27 am payne Post #111

Quote from DevliN
Updated the meta tags and page title for more efficient search engine results. Based on the Google webmaster tools, our clicks for search results have gone up over 80% over the past month. Not sure what happened in that time.
You mean there's more and more people using the wiki? I actually thought it had sunk into oblivion. :O

None.

Apr 20 2011, 3:55 am DevliN Post #112

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, over the past month we've had a ton of hits.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 24 2011, 8:48 pm Jack Post #113

Is it OK if I ask mapster if they want to become a contributing site? Obviously we'd have to ask existing member sites if they're OK with it, and that's what this post is about really :P

Red classic.

Apr 24 2011, 8:54 pm payne Post #114

Quote from Jack
Is it OK if I ask mapster if they want to become a contributing site? Obviously we'd have to ask existing member sites if they're OK with it, and that's what this post is about really :P
Sixen already clearly stated he didn't want to associate with GalaxyWiki I believe. But of course, go for it! GalaxyWiki isn't supposed to discriminate any community. :)

None.

Apr 24 2011, 8:55 pm DevliN Post #115

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Jack
I'm fine with that.

Quote from payne
Quote from Jack
Sixen already clearly stated he didn't want to associate with GalaxyWiki I believe. But of course, go for it! GalaxyWiki isn't supposed to discriminate any community. :)
Not really, no.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 24 2011, 9:20 pm payne Post #116

http://www.staredit.net/topic/12849/1/#269815
Just ban me in a month exactly, and this whole thing will be cleared. :bye1:

None.

Apr 24 2011, 9:51 pm Jack Post #117

I asked thehelper and sc2c while I was at it.

Red classic.

Apr 25 2011, 9:35 am DevliN Post #118

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Le sigh.

So it seems like the pissing match returns. And I didn't realize The Hive was considering using SC2M's wiki. That's interesting.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 25 2011, 10:06 am Jack Post #119

Quote from DevliN
Le sigh.

So it seems like the pissing match returns. And I didn't realize The Hive was considering using SC2M's wiki. That's interesting.
I didn't realize that either, where does it even say that? Ralle saidto me that he was going to link to GWN once he had a few more posts in the staffforum topic about it over at hive. Also, am I doing a bad job of being diplomatic and not pissing back as it were? If not you're welcome to take over ;0

Red classic.

Apr 25 2011, 4:16 pm DevliN Post #120

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

From DrSuperEvil on SC2M:
Just looked at the http://www.galaxywiki.net wiki. Really low quality articles. If anything they should be volunteering to join us. As for the Hiveworkshop, my brother is a moderator there so I will try and inform myself about their exact plans for the wiki

Edit: Ok I have checked all the sites that are collaborating with it and they are all very small which have have had less forum posts over the last year than mapsters data forum gets in a day. As far as publications go best I could find was zillion zerglings.......and NOTD being advertized there as well.

As far as the Hiveworkshop goes they are still mainly a WC3 site and want to throw in with a wiki because they cant be bothered to write their own. So far they will either join that wiki or ours

No, you're not doing a bad job, and I wanted to avoid a pissing match so pissing right back would be bad. That topic got bombarded by SC2M fanboys who don't get what we're trying to do with GWN, and assume (as Sixen did originally) that we're trying to compete with SC2M. It would be like us as PC users making a wiki about computers, and trying to reach out to Mac users to contribute, only to get "No, we're better, join us instead" as a response. I don't understand how it seems like no one gets the idea that we are doing this as an impartial resource to help people, not to promote ourselves.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum