SC2: Helms Deep Annatar, A recreation of a Helms Deep Classic.
Post #3 Dungeon-Master Nov 24 2010, 4:01 pm
Looking at the screenie, it really looks like the once-only played map that was mindless in stacraft : BW lol
Might be good, but you could rework the mechanics a bit, couldn't you? Of course you can make the ladder/siege tower system better, and change this "A lot of units standing nowhere" feeling... Maybe you could had an inside-courtyard to the fortress? where you could put houses and such... Losing houses could be like losing the elven productions buildings, it would disadvantage the humans in some way... Maybe reducing the morale of troops? every lost house cold reduce armor by 0.5 or something, and damage too. Maybe even lower the range of attacks of 1 if they lose all the houses, if it is feasible?
I know that you want to recreate it, and make it as similar to the one in vanilla SC as possible, but you could add such mechanics without it losing its "Helms deep madness" Feeling...
Maybe you could also find a way to greatly reward players that place their defences correctly, and even make the orcs computer-controlled in another version because it really is not that fun to play...
It's just my share of ideas.
..Annatar.. Balanced? You're kidding me right? The second the Rohan player decided to move every troop avaliable into the cave, it was an instant GG. If you even want to think about copying a helms deep map, V. Ling would more or less be the best to copy, due to an actuality of possibly winning for both sides.
But in all honesty, lets move past opinion, and go to fact. Make your own map, don't copy. Make it fresh, give it a new look, and for CHRIST'S HOLY SAKE, make it so that the entrance to the caves ISN'T A DAMN WARP.
SOMETHING STATUS GO
You really need to consider redoing that terrain, as well. I know it has been mentioned before, but given what you can do with terrain in the editor, it seems silly not to utilize that. I guarantee if you make the terrain look better, people would be more willing to play just because it looks cool.
Also given the wonders of the Data Editor, consider giving the heroes a couple abilities. One of the things I always hated about the LotR maps was that the heroes were just OP units, and didn't really do anything special. having a high health pool and damage doesn't always make something fun or replayable. Really take advantage of the editor if you want this map to be amazing.
What a caterpillar calls death a master calls a butterfly.
You really need to decorate the map has very bland terrain, terrain makes the game way better...,
with the data editors capabilities you should do something like having all the heroes with unique abilities' ; maybe you could have some sort of inventory system?
A few more suggestions which may improve your game in general because sc1 doesn't translate as well to sc2
- Already stated but terrain is bland
- Make it look natural... maybe use destructible rocks instead of supply depots?
- Use the tools to your advantage like having smoke to create a sight line barrier
- Replay value and balance is everything for these kinds of maps...
1- Do what code geass on sc1 did and maybe have lvl-able stats for your army
2- Make sure to test it, and have a dedicated thread to weed out balance issues
3 Constantly update the map and make sure that any changes the radically change the map should be after balance issues and bugs have been settled enough
My 2 cents
1. The supply depots were to act as a gate...
2. Adding Terrain would be great but wouldn't this cause lag knowing that they are going to have a massive spawn?
3. Annatar 10.5 was very Balanced. If you weren't a total newb at it... Might be a reason why its still played in East anyways...
4. Gota start somewhere. whether it is crap terrain or balance issues, i'm just trying to finish the triggers and get the basic layout so there are no fundamental issues. Abilities + new stuff from this galaxy editor = later, basics first.
5. Wouldn't creating a terrain that may be appealing to the eye just cause lag as the orc players are going to have 200 units each?
This would of course be something i'm interested in (Rs_yes-im4real), no time till summer though (2 weeks from now) to learn sc2 mapping and put energy into a project like this...
While I support making an almost exact copy of the map (it is extreamly balanced for intermidiate and pro players, cave d is not a auto game winner!) SC2 allows us to escape many limitations imposed by sc1, a few things that immediatly come to mind are...
- a button+click masser (hold shift, click where you want to mass too)
- fully independant player structure (so it no longer needs to be based on player 7, can go on with at least 1 player on each team)
- appropriate units (why should theo be a goliath?).. seems you are working on this
- much improved cave looks
- epic-keep looks, this is the "castle" piece of the fortress and should look amazing
- elven sleuth-effect, partially invisible when no enemy units around
- day/night effect, so gandalf really does come at the break of dawn
terraining and acctually building a fortress should be a big focus of this, as sc1 sevearly restricted this ability
edit: Hi oh_man, moved on too sc2 did you?
This post was edited 2 times, last edit by jjf28: May 27 2011, 11:48 pm.
0 members in this topic (italic members are currently writing a reply): None
Dem0n -- ;o;o;o
lil-Inferno -- I care
Gigins -- Dude nobody cares
Pr0nogo -- It's like 44 minutes of me screaming
Pr0nogo -- I'm going to post the video I had in an extras section in the LP thread, though