\\\\\ ROLES

@@Towns Roles@@

Collapse Box

@@ Mafia Roles@@

Collapse Box

@@ Third-Party Roles @@

Collapse Box

Optimal Number 1

Post has been edited 12 time(s), last time on Apr 16 2011, 11:00 pm by Tempz.

None.

Apr 15 2011, 7:08 am Roy Post #62

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Spirit - The spirit is already dead and thus cannot be killed by night hit or lynch
Special ability:
Immortality- When killed by a lynch or night hit, the spirit can still discuss on the topic. However, he cannot vote or use abilities. He cannot be targeted after he is killed and his name is marked out.

This role is useless. If a player wants to keep playing after they've been killed, they just send PMs to other players or shout in the shoutbox. This happens all the time.

Banshee - The Banshee wails for its victim, and the victim then has a death clock on them.
Special ability:
Scream- Targets 1 player. This person dies the next night;May be used 1 per night. May be used once per game.
Screech- Targets 1 player. This person cannot use their power for the night; May be used 3 times a game once each night. Cannot be used in conjunction with scream.

If you give the Banshee an ability to kill each night, it's no different than the Boondock. The general rule is that the town shouldn't kill at night; that's the mafia's job.

Witch Doctor - A corrupted witch doctor only serves to curse and destroy.
Special ability:
Curse: Curses someone. The cursed person may not use abilities. May be used once per night.
Time Bomb: Turns someone into a bomb. Anyone targeting the targeted person dies. May be used once per game.
Blood Pact: If lynched, then the first person to lynch him will also die.

Does Time Bomb also kill the targeted person? If so, this role is too powerful. You could put the Blood Pact ability into a new mafia role to balance this.

Deceiver- The deceiver has the tendency to do underhanded things to achieve his goals.
Special ability:
Black Mail: The deceiver may visit one person and order them to do any of their abilities. This power may only be used once per game.
Rig Vote: Before the day ends, if the deceiver sends me a pm to rig the votes against 1 person this person will be lynched instead. May be used once per game.

Rig vote seems way powerful, because the town's main way of fighting mafia is through voting. It should come with a consequence, like revealing who the Deceiver is.

Therapist - The therapist explores deep into someone's inner mind and finds out their role.
Special ability:
Therapy - A person's role will be revealed to the therapist. May be used 3 times a game once per game.
Claim Insanity - A player will be locked up for a night. During this time, he cannot use his ability, and his alignment will be revealed to the town. May be used once per game.
Medicate- Targeted player cannot use his power. May be used once per night.

I don't like Medicate; it's just the Banshee's ability. What's the point of having this as a third-party role? How does the therapist win?

Also, I don't mean to sound rude, but you really need to improve your grammar if you intend to host mafia. I did several grammatical corrections to the roles I thought needed balancing (I probably missed some errors). You also have inconsistencies, such as having colons after some abilities and hyphens after others. Since mafia here is a game of storytelling, you need to be able to write well to be a successful host.

Apr 15 2011, 8:49 am Tempz Post #63

Hmm i guess your right...

Time bomb does not affect targeted person
Taking out therapist and spirit
Balanced out.

I have poor grammar and writing skills because when i was younger i use to skip a lot of classes to play video games, i caught up in most subjects except for English since grammar is taught at lower grades. Plus Canadian and USA English is slightly different which account for some of my errors.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Apr 15 2011, 9:05 am by Tempz.

None.

Apr 15 2011, 5:02 pm DevliN Post #64

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

How is Canadian and US english different? I've never heard that before.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 15 2011, 5:08 pm poison_us Post #65

Back* from the grave

Add "eh" to every sentence for Canadian. For American English, add a double helping of ignorance.

Apr 15 2011, 5:29 pm Roy Post #66

Quote from Tempz
Hmm, I guess you're right...
Yes, yes I am.

As far as I know, Canadians only have different informal/slang terms; you should abide by either American English or British English (i.e. color or colour). If you have difficulties with this, you can always find someone to proof-read your game posts before submitting them.

Those roles look more balanced now. I ignored the optimal numbers because that's always dependent on the number of players.

Apr 15 2011, 9:29 pm lil-Inferno Post #67

Just here for the pie

REDUNDANT MAFIA - Has one non-regenerating night life that doesn't regenerate. At night, can send in one kill to a player of his choosing to kill the player of his choosing at night.

Apr 16 2011, 2:00 am rayNimagi Post #68

This role is currently being used in Fallout Mafia.

Ghoul-- An "undead" townsperson.
Ability = Undead Hit: The Ghoul fights after being "killed".
[Undead Hit]: Target loses one night life.
*The Ghoul can use Undead Hit only after he has lost his night life.

Is this role OP?

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Apr 16 2011, 2:21 am Roy Post #69

If the Ghoul cannot be killed, then yes, it is OP. He basically becomes an invincible vigilante for the town.

Norm had a Zombie role that allowed the player to choose one person to kill when he dies, and then he's officially dead. That sounds a lot more balanced than what you suggested.

Apr 17 2011, 1:39 am Tempz Post #70

Strangely i actually thought of asking someone to check my grammer...

None.

Apr 17 2011, 3:30 am poison_us Post #71

Back* from the grave

grammar*

Apr 27 2011, 10:05 pm Tempz Post #72

\\\\\ ROLES

@@Towns Roles@@

Collapse Box

@@ Mafia Roles@@

Collapse Box

@@ Third-Party Roles @@

Collapse Box

None.

Apr 27 2011, 10:57 pm Roy Post #73

Is that just a repost of what you had at the top of the page? And you edited your previous post to request it gets deleted so you could bump the topic while trying to make it look like you weren't double-posting?

Apr 27 2011, 11:22 pm lil-Inferno Post #74

Just here for the pie

I like the idea of third party roles, but most of them just seem like they could take the side of the town or mafia rather than being independent.

I think an interesting mafia game would be to have two mafia families that are essentially against each other but are also against the town as well. Basically three factions. It'd have to be a large game though.

Apr 27 2011, 11:27 pm DevliN Post #75

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Roy
Is that just a repost of what you had at the top of the page? And you edited your previous post to request it gets deleted so you could bump the topic while trying to make it look like you weren't double-posting?
The post he edited had nothing to do with roles. :)

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 27 2011, 11:30 pm poison_us Post #76

Back* from the grave

Here's mine, took me a great deal of time to get it:

Town roles

Mafia roles

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 28 2011, 4:06 am by poison_us.

Apr 27 2011, 11:33 pm Voyager7456 Post #77

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Stop adding such complicated roles.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Apr 27 2011, 11:54 pm Tempz Post #78

I edited a role...

None.

Apr 28 2011, 1:35 am Roy Post #79

Quote from poison_us
  • Doctor: Townie that can heal a person of his choosing and prevent a single mafia hit.
    • Ability: [Heal]: [Target]
    • Description: Adds one night life to [Target]
    • Notes: +100% max HP.
Overpowered. The doctor can target himself and give himself or someone else 5 lives over the course of four nights. You should restrict the doctor from targeting himself and make the additional night life temporary.

Apr 28 2011, 4:05 am poison_us Post #80

Back* from the grave

Sorry, my satire was a little rushed. Fix't.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum