Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: "Liking" posts?
"Liking" posts?
Sep 3 2010, 7:11 am
By: MillenniumArmy  

Sep 3 2010, 9:26 pm The Starport Post #21

I think ya'll should first consider not how it's going to work, but what goal you want it for, and THEN how to go about it.

For instance, if you like communal circle-jerks, Like is a good option. If you like cultural-reinforcement, add a Dislike option. If you want more expression granularity and also cultural-reinforcement, go with the facepunch idea.

Personally, I think cultural reinforcement for its own sake reinforces idiocy. However, > one-dimension of micro-feedback options would definitely have its advantages in spite of that. Especially in a feedback-driven community of creators, as opposed to a community of the usual one-dimensional show-n'-tellers.

Seems like a simple enough decision, if you ask me.

Now the question is: With a solution in hand, what's the problem? :rolleyes:

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on Sep 4 2010, 6:47 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 3 2010, 9:31 pm Jack Post #22

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I don't think it's necessary or useful enough. If you want to have people to vote on something, use a poll, or link to something like this: http://www.snappoll.com/poll/340253.php

Plus, there's more than enough stuff that needs fixing or improving on SEN OTHER than this.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 3 2010, 9:34 pm FoxWolf1 Post #23

Well, it's a nice idea, but is clicking a "like" button that records your name really so much better than clicking "reply while quoting" and typing "+1" or "This." that implementing such a button would be a good use of time for our coders?

Also, the old Karma system wasn't used all that often; the vast majority of posts remained at 0 karma, at least in the Starcraft-related forums (I don't check the non-Starcraft fourms often enough to speak for conditions there). Is something new along similar lines really going to be used that much more?

None.

Sep 3 2010, 9:43 pm Vrael Post #24

Absolutely not. We get enough of this bull on facebook, I don't give a shit about who likes what post, just like no one gives a shit about who likes someone's chickens on farmville. If we need a system to keep track of helpful responses in the Assistance threads, at least we shouldn't call it "like" and "dislike." Mods should probably take care of keeping track of helpful posts in Assistance forums anyway.

None.

Sep 3 2010, 9:47 pm Bar Refaeli Post #25

It could be a good idea, but I bet there are better features out there that could be added instead of this.

None.

Sep 3 2010, 10:40 pm DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from FoxWolf1
Well, it's a nice idea, but is clicking a "like" button that records your name really so much better than clicking "reply while quoting" and typing "+1" or "This." that implementing such a button would be a good use of time for our coders?
Theoretically it saves the Mods time since they wont have to do as much deleting of "+1" or "This." spam posts.

Based on how Devourer is treating all his coding projects right now, however, I doubt any system we all discuss will be implemented anytime soon.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 5 2010, 11:36 pm TiKels Post #27

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Quote from DevliN
Quote from FoxWolf1
Theoretically it saves the Mods time since they wont have to do as much deleting of "+1" or "This." spam posts.

Based on how Devourer is treating all his coding projects right now, however, I doubt any system we all discuss will be implemented anytime soon.
+1
+1 irony.
But no really, that was good humor.

What defines "spam". When is it inappropriate to post? What forums have what degree of tolerance?

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Sep 6 2010, 9:09 am poison_us Post #28

Back* from the grave

Quote from Excalibur
No. SEN is not facebook. All this Web 2.0 crap is useless and does nothing to improve the site.
This.

We [meaning you, staffers] need to focus more on functionality things like the mineral system, which everyone can agree is borked as derp itself. This needs to be filed away in an attic for a rainy day, so to speak, and never brought out again.

Sep 6 2010, 11:09 pm Jack Post #29

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from name:Nasus
Quote from Excalibur
No. SEN is not facebook. All this Web 2.0 crap is useless and does nothing to improve the site.
This.

We [meaning you, staffers] need to focus more on functionality things like the mineral system, which everyone can agree is borked as derp itself. This needs to be filed away in an attic for a rainy day, so to speak, and never brought out again.
I thought the mineral system was pretty good, myself. It's the DLDB that needs fixing.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Options
  Back to forum