Just wow.

Really?

WOW.

None.

Aug 28 2010, 9:37 pm Dem0n Post #4

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Psh. I can do 400 ez. ;D

Aug 28 2010, 11:24 pm UnholyUrine Post #5

By doing what? Hitting your head on the keyboard so you get multiple keys at the same time?

Yeah right.

None.

Aug 29 2010, 12:40 am LoTu)S Post #6

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Psh. I can do 400 ez. ;D

Spamming for apm is different than natural apm.
Quote from Adeon
Wicked... would be cooler if it was a girl :P

None.

Aug 29 2010, 1:07 am UnholyUrine Post #7

Wow.. She's not bad.

None.

Sep 1 2010, 2:20 am Derqua Post #8

Are you saying that girls are naturally handicapped in playing video games?

None.

Sep 1 2010, 2:26 am Aristocrat Post #9

Quote from UnholyUrine
Wow.. She's not bad.

She is known for very high APM, but her proleague performance has been very poor. APM is just a stepping stone, not a measure of skill. (TL page)

The only win she had vs a half-decent player was TossGirl vs Reach, which is rumored to be "staged" because Reach performed at a very subpar level that game. Reach's recent record...

Last 10 (old -> recent): L L L L L L L L L L | View Games

None.

Sep 1 2010, 4:40 am rockz Post #10

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Like boxer never lost within 2 minutes...

Everyone has bad games, and bad streaks.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 1 2010, 4:44 am Undead-Fox Post #11

An ultra fast APM isn't necessarily needed in my opinion. It helps, but, just having a good ability to micro when it's needed is all I think you need to click like a crazy azn.
Knowing what you're doing and how to use actual strategy and counter-strategy is more important than just clicking fast.

None.

Sep 1 2010, 7:32 am okashira Post #12

I registered just to reply to this.

I think this is really sad. I am sure these guys are great at Starcraft. But first... I could not but help but notice that 95% of their "actions," were completely useless clicking. Random clicking where they would select units, cancel, tell some unit to perform something they already did.. deselect, cancel. Is this the focus of professional gaming? (for this game maybe?)

I've allways loved video games. And I do enjoy spectating all kinds of sports... *including* video games. But...... "I think my APM is about average. Maybe a little bit above average."
After hearing this guys comment.. and understanding the fact this guy might actually be making $$ by playing this game.. I am astonished, and don't know what to say.

If I saw and understood what I think I did.... I do indeed fear for the human race. :-(

I don't know what to say from here.. just that... oh man. :-(

ps
Myself.. I played Starcraft obsessively between 1998 and 1999. Around age 15 1/2 for me (Junior year of High School). It was definitely not a producitive period of my life. I do understand most of what's invoved with this professional gaming... despite my understanding I am quite suprized, amazed, then disappointed after find this post. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

All the best to all.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 1 2010, 7:49 am by okashira. Reason: sp

None.

Sep 1 2010, 1:14 pm Aristocrat Post #13

Quote from rockz
Like boxer never lost within 2 minutes...

Everyone has bad games, and bad streaks.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=98075

There was speculation that Reach lost the game on purpose to "apologize" to TossGirl after he defeated her very quickly in a televised match in Germany a few years back. He told her that he would play an "interesting game" this match and it really did appear that he played way under his level, but of course, speculation is just speculation.

@okashira: Progamers "spam" because it keeps their APM high, which allows them to transfer it to useful actions when needed. It's much easier to do things quickly when you are already at high mouse speed.

None.

Sep 1 2010, 5:44 pm CecilSunkure Post #14

Quote from Undead-Fox
An ultra fast APM isn't necessarily needed in my opinion. It helps, but, just having a good ability to micro when it's needed is all I think you need to click like a crazy azn.
Knowing what you're doing and how to use actual strategy and counter-strategy is more important than just clicking fast.
Pro Koreans know strategies and counter strategies like the back of their hand in Brood War; they are second nature whereas someone like you is still learning them. A high level game like that could quite easily come down to whoever is faster. Plus, this whole "just clicking fast" thing you are mocking keeps your fingers warm for the later parts of the game.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 4:55 am ACCO~ Post #15

Quote from okashira
I registered just to reply to this.

I think this is really sad. I am sure these guys are great at Starcraft. But first... I could not but help but notice that 95% of their "actions," were completely useless clicking. Random clicking where they would select units, cancel, tell some unit to perform something they already did.. deselect, cancel. Is this the focus of professional gaming? (for this game maybe?)

I've allways loved video games. And I do enjoy spectating all kinds of sports... *including* video games. But...... "I think my APM is about average. Maybe a little bit above average."
After hearing this guys comment.. and understanding the fact this guy might actually be making $$ by playing this game.. I am astonished, and don't know what to say.

If I saw and understood what I think I did.... I do indeed fear for the human race. :-(

I don't know what to say from here.. just that... oh man. :-(

ps
Myself.. I played Starcraft obsessively between 1998 and 1999. Around age 15 1/2 for me (Junior year of High School). It was definitely not a producitive period of my life. I do understand most of what's invoved with this professional gaming... despite my understanding I am quite suprized, amazed, then disappointed after find this post. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

All the best to all.

Uh, i think you're overreacting a little bit. Not sure why it's so bad that people make money playing starcraft? It's a living, and it's not even a great one for 95% of korean progamers. It's really a 'love of the game' sort of thing.

The purpose of all the repetitive actions is to "warm up" for the mid to late game where multitasking becomes very important. Jumping between managing expos, microing army, casting spells, and making more units. So you see a lot of spam actions early on, partly out of habit and partly out to warm up muscle memory, but watch a first person vod of a progamer and you'll see them putting that 200+ APM to use throughout the important parts of the game.

Even then, APM isn't nearly the most important thing at the programer level. When players of average skill are playing, APM matters a lot more. But progamers have great mechanical skill and are all roughly equal at the mechanics of BW, so in pro Starcraft games are decided by strategy, macro, build order, and micro - roughly in that order.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 8:09 pm Cam Post #16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h30g3g5noI&feature=related

I realize this is a SC2 video, but it's still perfectly viable.

APM isn't everything, but it's important.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 9:36 pm LoTu)S Post #17

Quote from Cam
APM isn't everything, but it's important.

High is to Sc1 as low is to Sc2.

it's still perfectly viable.

No, not really. Low APM is much less precise. Also, scv>probe. Might I mention that this is a sc1 apm discussion.

None.

Options
  Back to forum