Staredit Network > Forums > GalaxyWiki Project > Topic: Your articles
Your articles
Aug 24 2010, 11:24 pm
By: payne
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >

Sep 29 2010, 7:37 pm Jack Post #21

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I also did this http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/UI_Triggers but it's not done so I guess it doesn't count.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 30 2010, 7:51 am DevliN Post #22

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from payne
http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/AI
http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Spawn_system
Those one are 100% from me, including triggers.

If I understood well, you decided not to credit the Roam and such as mine since I simply took the triggers from others' map?
I didn't include the top two links because they are essentially just example triggers rather than actual explanation, unless I'm misunderstanding them. Example triggers are fine, but I think some information about why they work is missing. You have to consider that most people looking at the Wiki may have no idea how the trigger system in SC2 works, or why certain actions or events do what they do. Maybe they just seem a little barren to me.

Quote from Jack
I also did this http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/UI_Triggers but it's not done so I guess it doesn't count.
I saw that but didn't include it only because it's a massive list of blank entries with a handful of one-sentence explanations. If I missed anything or anyone's then by all means, let me know. I haven't given out minerals yet for anything related to the Wiki, so I want to make sure people get what they deserve this time around.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 30 2010, 9:26 am payne Post #23

:payne:

http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/AI
http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Spawn_system

If you read those completely, you'll see that the triggers are fully explained: the AI one has the trigger explanation in the Trigger Reference section while the "Spawn system" one has comments inside the trigger.
I've also added a little note about the Becomes Idle Event in the AI wiki.

None.

Oct 1 2010, 3:50 am DevliN Post #24

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Okay, but that still isn't addressing my point about how you have to assume that the SC2 trigger system intimidates people and they may have no idea what any of that actually means. Most good tutorials I've seen will give example triggers and whatnot, and then explain why the trigger works. Your Wiki articles that you linked make it seem like you expect people to copy and paste what you posted and figure it all out from that. It doesn't always work that way, especially with something as complex as SC2.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 1 2010, 4:23 am payne Post #25

The conditions set in this trigger are to prevent the AI to be applied to players currently playing. Any players leaving will see their unit gotten in charge by the AI trigger.

Please take note that a unit becomes idle only when one of his issue is done. Thus, units that were pre-placed or just created will not be considered as idle since they haven't had any actions ordered to them yet.
I -am- explaining how the AI trigger is working. >_>

But ya, the comments for the Spawning System might not be enough.

EDIT:
I have updated the Roam article. It now contains a lagless method! :awesome:
I'm only missing some specific triggers that are required for particular cases. If people could fill the missing information, it'd be appreciated.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 2 2010, 3:09 am by payne.

None.

Oct 4 2010, 3:13 am DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Decal_Doodad

I'm tired of forgetting what each variant of the "Decal" doodad was so I put it on the Wiki. I'll add pictures to it eventually.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 13 2010, 5:42 pm payne Post #27

http://www.staredit.net/261714/
Devlin, you might want to keep your list updated? Cardinal has made some wikis... and I know some other articles are on the way (I won't reveal their writer to prevent from harass: I'm the only one allowed to harass on this site! >:O).

None.

Oct 14 2010, 12:10 pm DevliN Post #28

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You could update the one in the OP, as well.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 15 2010, 11:16 am NicholasBeige Post #29

Yeah - I'll be working a bit more on the Wiki over this weekend.

Then doing essays on quantitative research methods and their uses in terms of land-use appraisal strategies...

:) I know what'll be more fun, and what'll take more effort...

None.

Oct 15 2010, 3:20 pm payne Post #30

Quote from DevliN
You could update the one in the OP, as well.
Oh silly you!! :P
I thought you were only referencing to your list, so I didn't see the need to update it anymore, but if you want me to... and that you promise I am not making this for no reason (read: you will give minerals at some point to the creators).

Quote from name:Cardinal
Then doing essays on quantitative research methods and their uses in terms of land-use appraisal strategies...
:lol: I've never taken this course in college since I am in the Science department (instead of departments like Sociology and others), but I can tell you that from the comments we here all around about it, it's a pretty laughable course. :><:
(No offense! :P)

None.

Oct 15 2010, 8:00 pm NicholasBeige Post #31

*wierd, I totally lost my reply to this thread somehow. Take 2.

The course this is for is all legislation, law, advice, guidelines and legal jargon... It's essentially about the convoluted (read: useless) planning system that we have here in the United Kingdom with regard to new developments at regional/national/strategic and local levels... Yawn... We too have a Sociology department, and here too, they are the joke for us :). I am doing a science degree in geography with a couple planning modules on the side... Yawn again :)

Just finished this http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Effect_-_Instant

Edit: Something I noticed. There is a page called Unit Properties. I think it is counter-productive to list each and every field available to a unit. Since you will only ever use 20 to 30% of these fields per unit. I suggest making that page redundant - or I don't know... Do whatever you want with it. Basically what I am saying is I created this:
http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Data_Editor_Theory - and then realized something 'similar' existed.

I could use a little help or guidance on this topic: http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Weapons - In progress. Can't decide whether or not to create the Movers section seperately and then link it to there. Or whether the Weapon section itself needs more clarification/detail.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 15 2010, 8:06 pm by Cardinal.

None.

Oct 15 2010, 8:03 pm DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, I will be giving minerals out to creators eventually. My list was more of a "this is what has been done so far, right?" compilation. If I'm only going by my list, I might as well replace yours in the OP. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 16 2010, 4:53 am payne Post #33

Quote from DevliN
Yeah, I will be giving minerals out to creators eventually. My list was more of a "this is what has been done so far, right?" compilation. If I'm only going by my list, I might as well replace yours in the OP. :/
Ok.

@Cardinal: I can't help on Weapons, but I'd suggest creating a separate wiki for Movers. ^^
And again, you keep forgetting to sort your wikis!
Add those lines at the end:
Code
[[Category:StarCraft II]]
[[Category:Reference]]
[[Category:Tutorials]]

Please note that you have to choose between Reference and Tutorials, but StarCraft II has to be everywhere. ^^

None.

Oct 16 2010, 12:19 pm DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I couldn't find anything on Skyboxes in the Wiki so I added a page for them. For some reason I can't get them all to load unless my camera is at different angles, so if someone else has better luck and could add pictures, that would help a lot.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 20 2010, 11:50 am DevliN Post #35

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

So I did something silly. I was working on the new spells for my Invasion map and figured I'd write a Wiki tutorial for custom spells: Creating a Missile Ability. It wasn't until after that I realized that http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Creating_a_Missile_spell existed. Oh well, now we have 2. :/

Also, I added an Adding Abilities to Units page for the hell of it.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 20 2010, 1:26 pm NicholasBeige Post #36

Quote from DevliN
So I did something silly. I was working on the new spells for my Invasion map and figured I'd write a Wiki tutorial for custom spells: Creating a Missile Ability. It wasn't until after that I realized that http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Creating_a_Missile_spell existed. Oh well, now we have 2. :/

Also, I added an Adding Abilities to Units page for the hell of it.

So, I started this talk page. No offence to payne, but I think your tutorial is a bit more indepth.. :)

Regarding my other thread (in this forum somewhere) about suggestions for the wiki - in which I state about categorising and linking stuff together. What do you think of a little: 'See Also' box, at the bottom of an article? Like this

quick edit: Also filled in the Community Portal page

one last thing: How do you change the title of a page? There are a few pages which should be named Tutorial - such and such. And instead, they are called Effect - Instant (my example, my tutorial, my bad) :)

None.

Oct 20 2010, 1:44 pm DevliN Post #37

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I have found a bug with mine, but I think it's due to a lack of a cooldown. It is possible to make a missile cast without ever exploding, apparently, if you cast one right after another with no cooldown. It also doesn't have the target boundary lines, but I can probably add that to it some other time along with pictures. If payne doesn't mind, we might as well redirect or delete the Missile Spell one, then.

Once I get more spells done for my map, I plan on making a few tutorials for various types of abilities as well, so there will be more like this.

Also, I think a "See Also" would be great.

And regarding your note on the Community page, ESDF should redirect to WASD, and have ESDF included as alternate key bindings (basically explaining why they may be better to use rather than explaining WASD all over again). The WASD tutorial should be removed from 3rd Person Camera and replaced with a link to the WASD page.

EDIT:
I moved your "Effect - Instant" article to "Creating an Instant Effect Ability." The "Effect - Instant" article now redirects, but we can change that if we need to.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 20 2010, 2:22 pm NicholasBeige Post #38

Cool. Yeah, I quite like the "See Also" section. It basically gives readers and users of our wiki (god know's if there are any) some options. As a wiki-reader you might prefer one tutorials writing style to another, or want something that is a little more indepth. Alternatively, you might want a simple reference-style tutorial which lists what to do without explaining the why and how of it.

I was browsing Stardepot.org and came across ProzaicMuse's tutorial regarding movers... Now, I tried playing around with this in the Galaxy Editor but had very little success in copying and emulating what he has achieved.

I think I will work more at it and try and see where I was going wrong - or where his tutorial was going wrong. Then, once I have figured it out - I will do an article on Movers. I think it is something that is much needed and has applications right across the board (i.e weapons, missiles, abilities, effects, units etc...)

I imagine a few (if not most) of the articles we already have could use some nice little 'mover' tutorial links.

Edit: I will complete my Weapons article too, since it desperately needs the information regarding Movers.

None.

Oct 20 2010, 2:36 pm Temp Post #39

Just pointing out that payne's tutorial on created a missile is different than the one devlin made. Payne's explodes on the first unit it encounters or dies after hitting its target location. There is also a (incomplete) missiles page for different kinds of missiles.

I am not sure why payne's is called basic missile though.

None.

Oct 20 2010, 4:33 pm payne Post #40

I like my tutorial! It's for lazy asses that don't want to understand what they are doing. :awesome:
At worst, what about to simply add a "Another method" section into Devlin's wiki and just copy-paste mine in there, warning people that the effect is different?

And while we're at it, what would you guys think of a "Ability Catalog" wiki, which would just link to all the abilities-wiki, giving a short description of its action. People searching for inspiration could just seek through this page. :O

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >
  Back to forum