Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Pirate Dyne Style for SC2 Mapping Contest
Pirate Dyne Style for SC2 Mapping Contest
Aug 14 2010, 8:41 pm
By: LoveLess  

Aug 14 2010, 8:41 pm LoveLess Post #1

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Looking to put together a team to do a map similar in essence to my Pirate Dyne map for StarCraft Brood War. The sole purpose of this map is to get SEN's name out there and enter it into the SC2 Mapping Contest being hosted by Blizzard.

The idea is that there are several different heights of terrain over the map and a creeping tar/fog/sentience slowly consumes the land. This stuff goes up and down depending on how well you are doing as well as time-based. Enemies spawn from it, so keeping an eye on where the ramps are and preparing for the rise/drop of the fog-stuff is key. With that said, I plan to remove any sort of UI in this map and give it a very "inter-active cinematic" feel. What kinds of UI I do add are dependent on the progression and needs of the map. For now, I plan to add around eight players to the map.

As far as enemies are concerned, if you have ever played some of my past creations, you know how wild I can get with their design. There is a lot in store for enemies.

As far as allied units go, there will be a lot of marines with different styles and feel to them, as well as other units. I don't plan to have any of them break character, such as a marine looking like he is shooting his rifle and out goes a rocket. That's just a big no for me. I aim to aesthetically please, not make a unit's steps create nuclear explosions.

I really need people who can do great Terrain, Doodads, creating custom Units and overall knowledge of the Trigger Editor. Pretty much everything. I am here as a guiding hand for the project, but I will use what knowledge I have to expand upon what's there.

Is anyone with me on this project? All credit will go where it is due.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 8:46 pm DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'm good with Terrain, Doodad placement, and the Data Editor. I can help if need be.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 14 2010, 9:01 pm LoveLess Post #3

Definitely would appreciate it DevliN.

I will upload a rough idea of what I am looking for in style of terrain. A lot of this is me and EFoG messing around with ideas. I am looking for the most aesthetically pleasing over the sturdiest.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 9:15 pm LoveLess Post #4

http://www.mediafire.com/?10taes3gh3kfeq2

Here is the rough "wtf" as I am going to call it.

The story behind whats going on, is that this sentience was released from the earth and is growing as it consumes more and more. So everyone was forced to retreat to higher ground, which is where this make-shift defensive ground was designed at.

Tons of civilians pour in from any form of transportation viable, coming from overhead the fog and through it in some cases. Points are awarded the more people you save and the like.

Along with the point system, I would like to have a sort of save system integrated so that when players keep coming back, everyone can know their skill level and highest achieved progress.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 9:28 pm Atlos Post #5

I'm not planning to join your team, but just wanted to clarify. I'm assuming if your map somehow won then all of the prizes would go to you? Are the people working in the team just working for recognition of SEN? Just some things to keep in mind when there's nearly 6 grand worth of incentives on the line.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 9:37 pm LoveLess Post #6

I would split up the money, that's really not an issue with me.

I have bought several of the cd keys that are being used by members of SEN right now. This isn't about money, I wanna go to Blizzcon and spread the word about SEN like it was crafted by God.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 9:41 pm Atlos Post #7

lol ok, just thought it would be fair for everyone to have that clarified. :P

I'll look into it more afterwards, but I've got my own map to worry about for now. Maybe I'll be able to help out down the line.

None.

Aug 14 2010, 9:57 pm Amadi Post #8

Quote from LoveLess
I wanna go to Blizzcon and spread the word about SEN like it was crafted by God.

Do you promise to get a group singing gospel while you praise the health benefits of SEN?

If so, AWESOME. :prof:

None.

Aug 14 2010, 10:44 pm LoveLess Post #9

We can consider this a community project and put the money towards SEN?

I am really looking for an awesome terrain to start with here, then we begin working up from that.

None.

Aug 15 2010, 3:31 am payne Post #10

:payne:

I'll probably give it a try tomorrow night.
Not promising, though. :jaff:

None.

Aug 15 2010, 4:12 am LoveLess Post #11

Couldn't get fog to work, but here is the next best thing I could manage to get the 'effect' of the walls closing in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r7ywr3bs3r6er1r

None.

Aug 15 2010, 2:44 pm payne Post #12

Somehow, my editor won't let me open the map properly: the Marine and Colonist Corpses aren't loaded. D:
Anyways.
Must I use this sample map or can I create a new one?
Is this the map dimension you want? And the tileset you wanted to use?

As said, I'll probably work on it tonight. ;o

None.

Aug 15 2010, 4:22 pm LoveLess Post #13

Do what you must to make it awesome?

I think that's the most I can ask anyone at this point.

None.

Aug 15 2010, 5:07 pm Original-Hydra Post #14

I Actually dont have SC2 Yet, :( but if theres any way i could help, sound effects, etc, snippets, whatever. I'll do it.

None.

Aug 15 2010, 11:09 pm payne Post #15

Quote from LoveLess

Thanks for -not- answering my questions? :P

Anyways, my biggest concern would be about the map's dimensions. Please specify.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 2:03 am LoveLess Post #16

Quote from payne
Quote from LoveLess

Thanks for -not- answering my questions? :P

Anyways, my biggest concern would be about the map's dimensions. Please specify.
Basically...

Make it small enough so that someone could be like, "Oh shit, that spot across the map from me is falling!" *holds sprint button* "Go Marine Go!" Get there within 10 seconds or so and defend accordingly.

I have no idea what dimensions that would be, 150ish? Make several heights of terrain, preferred tileset is something like what I posted here.

As for the crazy whatnots you can throw down after the base terrain, it needs to look really make shift and quickly built. Remember, this phenomenon just happened within a few days, they retreated to a high altitude place to escape the rising waters and they are now defending it. Make some sort of central landing pad and a lot of places to run to when the surges/rises happen in case they are in some random area defending. The ability to get airlifted out and placed somewhere new is a possibility.

A lot of trees to symbolize the mountainous region, with houses and crates scattered everywhere.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 2:32 am payne Post #17

http://www.mediafire.com/?ut1luwhssqia5i9
Well, I had started before you said those precisions. ;o

I've mostly set a very darkish ambiance all around. You should notice 2 creepy spots.

None.

Aug 17 2010, 6:10 pm Riney Post #18

Thigh high affectionado

Im good at trigger systems, as well as spaming triggers.

And I feel I should help however possible with this map because of reasons I shouldn't state for obvious reasons.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 17 2010, 7:02 pm payne Post #19

Then help me out with this.
http://www.staredit.net/topic/12150/

I am making the system for this map and yours. ^^

None.

Sep 6 2010, 7:10 pm FlameViper Post #20

Played Pirate Dyne like 500 Times and won just 5 times :D Also i played with you and your friend once and we won, you'd know me best as ''Shadow-Dead'' btw i loved the leviathan idea by ShadowRune, but i never understood the revive system..you buy energy medic upgrades for +1life? i saw that people revive after 7 minutes or so...

None.

Options
  Back to forum