Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Is this a new bug?
Is this a new bug?
Aug 6 2010, 4:48 pm
By: Jesusfreak  

Aug 6 2010, 4:48 pm Jesusfreak Post #1

Screenshots attached. Of course, I was too dumb to take an actual replay of the game before it was too late, but the screenies should demonstrate what I'm talking about (note that they're all PCX files, so you'll need some kind of program to view them).

Right as one of the players in the game lagged out and another left, I noticed that one of my enemy's lings had 0 hp and wasn't dying. I then noticed it attacking one of my lings, which also had 0 hp and wasn't dying. After a little experimentation, the other guy and I found that these lings were immortal and would seemingly never die.

How did we do this??? O_O

Attachments:
SCScrnShot_080510_224739.pcx
Hits: 17 Size: 349.35kb
SCScrnShot_080510_224749.pcx
Hits: 5 Size: 350.42kb
SCScrnShot_080510_225135.pcx
Hits: 4 Size: 272.46kb

None.

Aug 6 2010, 4:53 pm Aristocrat Post #2

It's one of the hacks from an old build of Apocalypse, not really new.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 5:16 pm Jesusfreak Post #3

But neither of us had any hacks on (or at least I didn't)... it happened on it's own.

None.

Aug 6 2010, 7:15 pm NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

You know, the game saves replays automatically...
maps\replays\LastReplay.rep

Aug 6 2010, 10:26 pm Jesusfreak Post #5

Quote from NudeRaider
You know, the game saves replays automatically...
maps\replays\LastReplay.rep
Yeah, but by the time it occurred to me to save the replay, I had already played other games :(.

None.

Aug 10 2010, 12:25 am Heinermann Post #6

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Even without hacks, such a bug can occur. It could also be unique to that map.

Aug 10 2010, 5:44 am LoTu)S Post #7

I was playing of Blood Pressure Marathon and there was an Overlord that spawned with 0/1 Hp. Dunno if that's possible with triggers or no. People were also telling others to storm the damn thing if you wanna kill it.

None.

Aug 10 2010, 8:46 am NudeRaider Post #8

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

0/1 hp units are possible. Set max hp to 0 and set the secondary box beneath hp to anything except 0. [Thanks Roy, for correcting me]

I'd be curious though if it actually works killing it with storms.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 10 2010, 6:58 pm by NudeRaider.

Aug 10 2010, 5:15 pm Roy Post #9

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from NudeRaider
0/1 hp units are possible. Set max hp to 1 and play around with the secondary box beneath hp. enter values from 1-10 until you get the desired result.

Actually, for 0/1 HP, you set the max HP to 0, and it shows the max HP as 1 in-game. Setting the second box to anything but 0 (the default) will set the current HP to 1, ruining the effect. Therefore, the second box must be 0 to have 0/1 HP.

I ran a quick test, and I confirmed that the unit cannot be killed unless via trigger. It can take seemingly unlimited physical damage, stand casually under psi storms, and have feedback spammed on it, all without affecting the unit at all (except feedback burning their energy, of course). Furthermore, the unit is not recognized as damaged, as a medic will not heal the unit, claiming that it needs an injured target. Using the "Modify Unit Health" action also has no effect on said unit.

Quote from LoTu)S
I was playing of Blood Pressure Marathon and there was an Overlord that spawned with 0/1 Hp. Dunno if that's possible with triggers or no. People were also telling others to storm the damn thing if you wanna kill it.
People are likely just speaking with ignorance, because storm did absolutely nothing, even when I changed Unused Upgrade 10.

Edit: Spawn Broodlings would most certainly kill the unit.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 11 2010, 12:46 am by Roy.

Aug 10 2010, 6:16 pm rockz Post #10

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

HP is stored in 4 bytes, but you only can see the last 3 bytes. It is also signed. I do not know how units are treated when they have negative hp (they might be invincible, or they might have a very very large health pool).

If HP is 00 00 00 00, then the unit will never take any damage, and never die due to damage (there may be spells which kill it), as it has 0 health. I am unsure of the possibility to set a unit's HP to 0% (it's possible to make a trigger which says this, but I don't know if it actually runs).

The byte that you can't see is actually the little box in editors. For some reason, SI only allows 1 digit in this box, rather than 3. To put this into perspective, a terran marine has 40 health. As a 4 byte decimal, this value is 10240, which is also the decimal value needed to detect that particular hp in an EUD condition. If we change the terran marine's hp to have a 1 in the little box, the new hp will be 10241. This number can go all the way up to 255 (FF), at which the hp will be 10495.

If we use a unit with 10495 max hp, the GUI in starcraft will report it as having a denominator of 40 health. However, when fully healed, the unit will appear to have 1 health greater than normal, since any value in the hidden byte rounds up. You can also see this in zerg regeneration. When you set a zerg unit's hp to a percentage constantly on hyper triggers, you will see it flash between two numbers. That's because it's being set to a number divisible by 256 (ie 40 health or 10240 hp) and then zerg regeneration adds 4 to that number each frame (ie 41 health or 10244 hp).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 10 2010, 8:56 pm Ahli Post #11

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from rockz
If HP is 00 00 00 00, then the unit will never take any damage, and never die due to damage (there may be spells which kill it), as it has 0 health. I am unsure of the possibility to set a unit's HP to 0% (it's possible to make a trigger which says this, but I don't know if it actually runs).
That will give the unit 1 hp.

And negative hp units die after receiving 1 hit.

Aug 11 2010, 8:14 pm Zhuinden Post #12

If the game said "Unable to Add Order" at any point during the game, then OrderBufferRape was used.

None.

Aug 12 2010, 5:04 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #13

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Ahli
And negative hp units die after receiving 1 hit.
Very useful for the resource powerups as independent-sized units will also die in one hit with negative HP.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 14 2010, 9:24 pm Jesusfreak Post #14

Quote from NudeRaider
0/1 hp units are possible. Set max hp to 0 and set the secondary box beneath hp to anything except 0. [Thanks Roy, for correcting me]

It wasn't created with triggers. It was a simple zergling blood game where a couple of the lings refused to die for some reason. The zerglings didn't start with 0 hp, they were reduced to that and yet still lived.

None.

Aug 15 2010, 8:43 am Zhuinden Post #15

Then I wonder why you never noticed the Unable to Add Orders message. Because that's the only way that is possible.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 12:01 am Jesusfreak Post #16

I don't remember seeing an "Unable to Add Orders" message. When does it come up?

None.

Aug 16 2010, 5:40 pm Zhuinden Post #17

Someone starts burrowing and unburrowing a unit (or sieging a tank), and it will start saying Unable to Add Order. All the miners will stop gathering, and the entire game freezes for a while.

This enables players to cancel units in production to gain minerals for it, get excessive amounts of drones for cancelling extractors in the making (and minerals), and also all reavers freeze up that shoot scarabs during the maxbuffer, and some units that end up killed while the buffer is maxed, the game won't be able to handle its death at HP 0 and they stay that way and they'll be immortal.

Edit: Also I have no idea where this attached map came from, but someone was looking for it in the Request Map thread... :O

Attachments:
The Forgotten Legacies.scx
Hits: 0 Size: 4155.29kb

None.

Aug 19 2010, 7:40 pm Jesusfreak Post #18

Well, I wasn't burrowing any of my zerglings at the time, although I don't know about the other players... and the game never froze, I would definitely have noticed that...

None.

Options
  Back to forum