Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: SEN v5.1
SEN v5.1
Jul 20 2010, 8:26 pm
By: DevliN
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 613 >

Jul 21 2010, 6:17 am UnholyUrine Post #61

:O Devilesk has a point there.. those two examples DO look a bit better.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 8:37 am NudeRaider Post #62

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Alright, like many of you I've found a number of problems in this new and great skin. First and foremost: Devilesk is right, it's far too dull. But thats probably easily fixable with a few color changes.
Now on to design problems I've found. I'll be as brief as possible because there's a lot of things, so if I wasn't clear on something just ask for elaboration.

The shadows of the buttons are not going all the way down. Either that, or make the wraith not going down as well since it destroys the button-ish feel.
Here's a quick picture of an awesome alternative solution: Make the buttons switch:

Of course the sc1 button needs to be smaller for that.

Favorites misses an arrow.

The menu drop downs have no mouse-over. Make it like the menu mouse-over. Also the drop down background could use a gradient.

Already told you this. Either make the globe as big as the search box, or at least center it vertically on the line.

Forum titles are completely broken on Firefox 3.0. Did you even test this before releasing? :wtfage:

Yes, you know it, but here's my recommendation: White description and yellow title with black shadow.

This looks as usual

but when I hover over a topic the name gets centered on the box. This actually looks good. If you could center all titles and reply counts. That'd be great. Otherwise just fix the mouse-over.

Weird thing is it stays centered even if I move the mouse away until I refresh the page.
Even for 2 liners it moves slightly but noticeable.

If you need help fixing the graphics just contact me on ICQ. I'll be glad to help.

And for final lulz the IE8 rendering. :lol:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 9 2010, 7:08 pm by NudeRaider. Reason: image update

Jul 21 2010, 9:05 am Devourer Post #63

Hello

Quote from Centreri
The quick search is a global search, not a local one. It doesn't search just one forum when you're in that forum.

Baaaaaaaad.
Intented. For everything else use the normal search. Hint: the quicksearch also depends on the active filters.

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
EDIT: Is there way to keep the "Automatic Refresh" box checked forever? I don't like how it unchecks itself whenever I refresh the page. :hurr:
I might will do it ;) more important stuff to do first, though.

As for devilesks brighter idea, I'm unsure whether I will do so.

Now to you, nude, thanks for that post:
yea about the tabs, I will make the lines go completly through.
The arrow for Favorites caused some problems... annoying ones. I removed it for now and cannot say whether it will be back.
Mouseover for links in the menu, sure.
Globe same size as the textbox, yea I agree.
...Firefox 3.0. There is 3.6.7 or sth like that out already, how about I make it capable for IE version 0.1 pre alpha as well? The thing is that I cannot promise anything for that, it works fine for the newer/newest FF version. That's what I have tested.
White font as descriptions look better as thought, also, afaik the text shadows are not working on all browsers, but I'll see what can be done.
Yea, I noticed that vertiacal centering in the forum index, will fix it soon.

And the good old IE8, popular but yet the worst piece of software ever made. I'll see what I can do, fixing it there prolly will fix it for FF 3.0 as well, just btw.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jul 21 2010, 9:16 am payne Post #64

:payne:

Quote from DevliN
We're looking into figuring out how to fix the unreadable forum name/description thing. Why none of us figured that would be problematic when Corbo showed it to us months ago is beyond me. Either way, it will be fixed soon.
I reported it at least 3 times, excluding on MSN. :P
Of course, everyone would tell me I'm wrong and every thing is fine, again considering my opinion as bullshit. :><:

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2010, 9:29 am by payne.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 9:21 am DevliN Post #65

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Please cut out the self-deprecating act. We know you're upset. You don't need to keep letting us know.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 21 2010, 9:31 am payne Post #66

:payne:

Quote from DevliN
Please cut out the self-deprecating act. We know you're upset. You don't need to keep letting us know.
Sorry. It's just that it is very frustrating to always be over-looked.
I gave around 60% of the same suggestions as the people in here, but Devourer would never tell me they are right or anything, as if he hadn't even read them, but he goes through the list of the others' and tell them they are right.
Anyways, that's just me being childish, sorry for being an ass-hole. ^^

None.

Jul 21 2010, 9:36 am DevliN Post #67

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Half the time I'm responding to all the concerns, and relaying them to him. It isn't just you who gets overlooked by him sometimes, there are tons of posts he doesn't get to. In this case, we spent most of the day going back and forth on AIM talking about a lot of things people said and trying to fix them. Like I said in the news post, there's a lot of work to be done and a lot of bugs that will be found. At least this is a start and soon enough the kinks will be worked out and everyone but devilesk will be happy.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 21 2010, 9:47 am Demented Shaman Post #68

Quote from Devourer
Quote from Centreri
The quick search is a global search, not a local one. It doesn't search just one forum when you're in that forum.

Baaaaaaaad.
Intented. For everything else use the normal search. Hint: the quicksearch also depends on the active filters.

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
EDIT: Is there way to keep the "Automatic Refresh" box checked forever? I don't like how it unchecks itself whenever I refresh the page. :hurr:
I might will do it ;) more important stuff to do first, though.

As for devilesks brighter idea, I'm unsure whether I will do so.

Now to you, nude, thanks for that post:
yea about the tabs, I will make the lines go completly through.
The arrow for Favorites caused some problems... annoying ones. I removed it for now and cannot say whether it will be back.
Mouseover for links in the menu, sure.
Globe same size as the textbox, yea I agree.
...Firefox 3.0. There is 3.6.7 or sth like that out already, how about I make it capable for IE version 0.1 pre alpha as well? The thing is that I cannot promise anything for that, it works fine for the newer/newest FF version. That's what I have tested.
White font as descriptions look better as thought, also, afaik the text shadows are not working on all browsers, but I'll see what can be done.
Yea, I noticed that vertiacal centering in the forum index, will fix it soon.

And the good old IE8, popular but yet the worst piece of software ever made. I'll see what I can do, fixing it there prolly will fix it for FF 3.0 as well, just btw.
it's not brightness that's the issue, it's contrast and saturation. the more saturated version is SO MUCH BETTER than the crappy colors now. seriously, who the hell thought that a pale washed out dull green would look nice with gray? that's not even SEN's colors.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 10:14 am Syphon Post #69

This skin loads painfully slow for how simple it is. Whoever wrote the CSS is absolutely retarded. It has over 100 lines of just IDs. The only little bit that isn't absolutely craptacular is under /*Corbo*/, and it's still overly complex for the job it does.

Also looking at the source... SeN replaces BBCode at render-time with Javascript? Why? Do you people not even care about fully utilizing your servers?
EDIT - I was mistaken or my browser messed up or something, this isn't actually the case.

Putting classes on <h> tags? XHTML 1.0 Transitional? <body style='100%'>? Good grief. I could look at this all day long listing off ways you've basically said LET'S MAKE THE SITE RUN SLOWER.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2010, 10:56 am by Syphon.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 10:30 am Centreri Post #70

Relatively ancient and inactive

I think you should change search to be global in index and local in forums, because that's more useful. That way, quick search can be used by people looking for solutions for their problems, because they can specify what to quick search by going there. This way, quick search is more useful for looking up things you remember seeing already, which isn't nearly as useful.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 10:36 am Neki Post #71

I do miss the classic red, I feel the layout while reading the topic doesn't really match the whole theme. The contact, online button are so out of place in this layout we have right now, this colour just doesn't feel right, the gray + green isn't doing it for me.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 10:39 am Sand Wraith Post #72

she/her

so at first I was liek "oh wtf is this sen?"
and then I was liek "how come I can't upgrade back to SENlantis again? fuck this shit im gonna go into the SEN v5.1 thread and lurk"

I've decided that SEN's skin is functionally and aesthetically inferior to SENlantis.

Please let me upgrade back to SENlantis. TBH, I never liked any of the other skins anyway. Besides, SENlantis is superior in both form and function.
It's easy for me to tell whether a forum has new posts or not. It's easy for me to un-/hide ANY of the forums that I choose. Topic listings don't mutate under my pointer. The primary colours aren't very appealing. Contrast could be better. My optic nerves feel like they're being fed through a paper shredder. Not as many people complain about the old skins.

So please let us upgrade to the SENlantis skin.

My complaints are directed to the SC2/SC1 buttons, the toolbar thing, and the forum index.

(I bet I will be totally incapable of viewing and posting from my iPod Touch.)

Jul 21 2010, 10:40 am Centreri Post #73

Relatively ancient and inactive

They redid the backend to support the new features of this skin (err... SC/SCII icons and quick search) so it'll take some time, if they decide to do it, to port old skins.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 10:43 am Sand Wraith Post #74

she/her

Quote from Centreri
They redid the backend to support the new features of this skin (err... SC/SCII icons and quick search) so it'll take some time, if they decide to do it, to port old skins.

Yea, I thought so. My biggest complaint is how everything just melts together. It reminds me of the "hasbro-XP" skin. I REALLY hated it. Both there and here, everything just looks so weak and watered down. It's like putting all sorts of things randomly into a pot and hoping it works. It just melts. I feel like I'm trying to browse through melted cheese. Or something. That's green with mould.

EDIT:
Compared that to SENlantis. Everything was sharp and clean and didn't feel like it was super-glued together with the glue leaking out from the edges of the different round planes. Everything was strictly defined in SENlantis and it was quick to work with and quick to load around.
I don't have any complaints about loading speed, at least from my PC. Honestly, it feels like everything loads faster. However, I still don't like how everything just melts together and how forum descriptions are unreadable.

EDIT2:
*extreme litany of rage and agony*
Switching between the SC2/SC1 tabs is a pain in the ass, kinda like if I were to stick a standard dining utensil e.g. fork up my anus and rotate the utensil 90 degrees clockwise over the time frame of approximately 1 second. It's slow.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2010, 10:54 am by Sand Wraith.

Jul 21 2010, 10:44 am Devourer Post #75

Hello

I know we got issues at our CSS and HTML but the BBcode JS file is just for the buttons when writing a reply for the case you meant that. (didn't fully understand).
Want me to send you the css so you can edit it?

Jul 21 2010, 11:36 am Devourer Post #76

Hello

As many requested this feature:
http://www.staredit.net/?p=settings&area=forum&info=sent

Jul 21 2010, 1:47 pm Zycorax Post #77

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Can we have the Classic skin back? It looks better and loads faster! :(

Jul 21 2010, 3:41 pm Tempz Post #78

Why the hell am i not a vet :(

None.

Jul 21 2010, 3:44 pm OlimarandLouie Post #79

Quote from Tempz
Why the hell am i not a vet :(
It was just your imagination Tempz.

Everything needs to be brighter, like devilesk said.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 4:22 pm Dem0n Post #80

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Yeah, going along with what devilesk said, the green should be brighter. Also, I think the background should be completely black instead of dark gray (or whatever it is) so that the forums stick out better.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 613 >
  Back to forum