Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Rise of the Gryphons [WIP]
Rise of the Gryphons [WIP]
Jul 20 2010, 8:03 am
By: MorLawes  

Jul 20 2010, 8:03 am MorLawes Post #1

~RISE OF THE GRYPHONS~

Credits (how many places do I have to PUT these? They're in the mod itself, I thought that'd be enough):
Grps by Polaris, Hydrolisk, Devourer, Corbo, Ermac, and GreatDragon
Portraits by Cynon, Daelin, Deathsythe7, Jasen, Ius, and Milldawg
Please note that items from each of these artists has not yet been used, necessarily, but things I'm PLANNING to use are from these people.

STORY
The Gryphon people were once a peaceful race, and for the most part, still are. But after a coup replaces their government, they find themselves dragged into a war with the other races of their sector. As the aggressors. This war, they know, is wrong, but the general Gryphon populace has no choice but to go along with it, because of the same tool that allowed the conspirators to take control of their race. These former rebels have somehow acquired a small army of Xtevic war-drones, and will not hesitate to unleash them on rebellious factions within their own race.

The Xtevion, however, did not voluntarily give up custody of these war-drones, and fight against the corrupt Gryphon government every bit as idealistically as their Karsh allies. The Xtevion possess small but elite forces of well-armed and armored robots and soldiers, while the Karsh have expansive armies of disciplined but ill-trained militiamen. Both races immediately lunged for the throats of the theoretically exposed rebels, and quickly formed an alliance when neither was able to do the damage they expected.

The Scintani are perhaps the greatest hope for peace. The nomadic, near-human race's vast fleet of ships means they are bound to no planetary bases or homes, and their variable armies and technology make it likely that they will be able to do significant damage to any Gryphon outpost. But the Scintani are reluctant to join the war effort, their economy being based essentially on mercenary work: they want to get at least some benefit from the war.

Another strange, unknown race has also joined the war, although their random first strikes leave some doubt as to which side, if any, they are on. And there are indications--in the form of an odd, never-before-seen warp signature detected by the advanced Xtevic technology, that another group is coming to the sector. The defenders can only hope they are ships from the United Empire of the Galaxy, come to help against this threat. But how could the UEG know of their situation?
~~~~~~~~~
So far, most of my work has gone into the Terran, changing them into the nomadic Scintani. The Scintani don't live on any planet, but aboard a vast network of ships. Their aerial might is unmatched, but they lack reliable scanner technology, and their weapons are less than the best. So far:
Command Center ---> Supreme Command Ship
Supply Depot ---> Colony Ship
Engineering Bay ---> Command Ship
Barracks ---> Troopship
Refinery ---> Prefab Refinery
Science Facility ---> Shieldship
Bunker ---> Gun Emplacement
Starport ---> Carrier

SCV ---> Constructor
Civilians ---> Colonist
Marines ---> Marines
Ghosts ---> Daemons
Dropship ---> Stealth Shuttle
Wraith ---> Fighter
Valkyrie ---> Gunship
Vulture ---> Bomber
Battlecruiser ---> Battleship

The Protoss scout has also been changed into a Gryphon Rager. Completely. Well, the voice might change, but other'n that. Zerg haven't been touched yet. Nor have the races being made from extra units and buildings. So yeah.

'fraid I don't know how to put pictures in like other people do, either, so I'll just put a link up to my freewebs site, which uploaded them to.
Here it is. I know it's 'Encornet' and I'm Mor Lawes, but it's all on a theme here ^_^
NOTE: Please not that these pictures do not show everything. They don't show a lot of units, and a few new buildings.

Attachments:
RelVer2.0RotG.zip
Hits: 12 Size: 4342.12kb

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Jul 24 2010, 7:54 am by MorLawes.

None.

Jul 20 2010, 4:20 pm Positively Post #2

Screenies? ;) please?
What version patch is this for? O.o

None.

Jul 21 2010, 5:05 am MorLawes Post #3

It's for version 1.15.1, and the screenies are in a link (it's near the bottom). I don't know how to put them in the format everybody else does (y'know, the miniature that you can click and it gets big...)

None.

Jul 21 2010, 8:20 am Sand Wraith Post #4

she/her

ohshi-
my stuff is being used awesome

but wait what's this; the situation is evolving!

Under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada license, here, you're allowed to do a bunch of shit with my graphics, so long as you credit me and Polaris, do not use it for commercial things, and share whatever you've used my graphics in with the same license. Honestly, I don't really care about the latter two conditions, but the first condition is foremost. Please recognize the effort that Polaris and I put into making the graphics that you're using in your mod presently, preferably with detailed annotations as to which graphics were used and by whom they were created. This only applies to the graphics that you have sourced from the Doomageddon project, here.

I don't think Polaris cares as much as I do about the graphics I modelled and that he rendered. I just hate it when people don't credit others for others' work. Really, just a thank-you shout-out note-type thing is sufficient, but saying nothing at all really kinda stings me, being the creator of the models. I'm glad to see them being used, but I'm not glad to see that the resources haven't been properly attributed (preferably with a link to the original source so that others can use the graphics).

Furthermore, it appears that one of IskatuMesk's work is in your mod. I don't see any attributions to him either. You might get publicly hanged by the cock.

Best make your tributes quickly. May Chaos speed your typing! :)

Jul 22 2010, 12:33 am A_of-s_t Post #5

aka idmontie

Quote from Sand Wraith
Under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada license, here, you're allowed to do a bunch of shit with my graphics, so long as you credit me and Polaris, do not use it for commercial things, and share whatever you've used my graphics in with the same license. Honestly, I don't really care about the latter two conditions, but the first condition is foremost. Please recognize the effort that Polaris and I put into making the graphics that you're using in your mod presently, preferably with detailed annotations as to which graphics were used and by whom they were created. This only applies to the graphics that you have sourced from the Doomageddon project, here.

I don't think Polaris cares as much as I do about the graphics I modelled and that he rendered. I just hate it when people don't credit others for others' work. Really, just a thank-you shout-out note-type thing is sufficient, but saying nothing at all really kinda stings me, being the creator of the models. I'm glad to see them being used, but I'm not glad to see that the resources haven't been properly attributed (preferably with a link to the original source so that others can use the graphics).

Furthermore, it appears that one of IskatuMesk's work is in your mod. I don't see any attributions to him either. You might get publicly hanged by the cock.

Best make your tributes quickly. May Chaos speed your typing! :)

While I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, I must say, in the modding community, I don't expect people to give credit for using other people's graphics. I mean, sure, it's nice when in the credits there is a nice "Command Center Graphic Created by ______" line, but I find it quite unnecessary in this community. These are non-commercial modifications and the graphics are not claimed by the user to be their own work.

However, when some one specifically claims that their graphics are not open source (as with Iskatumesk), then there is a problem; however, I do believe he may have stated that a few of his graphics are now open source... but I'm not sure.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 22 2010, 4:32 am MorLawes Post #6

Excuse me, but credit IS given in the readme, included in the download zip. I really didn't feel like typing the list out all over again, and I neglected to copy it before I zipped it. Plus, it was like 2:00 in the morning. I was tired. If you really want, I'll stick it in the post, too.
EDIT: And actually, no, I just checked. None of those are IskatuMesk. They're pretty much all Doomageddon ones, so they'd be Hydrolisk/Polaris productions. Those ships are amazing, btw. EDIT: OH, I see. Yeah, there is an IskatuMesk in those screenies, but I decided to change that one. Didn't quite fit. So no IskatuMesk, 'cause that's the only one I was gonna use.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 22 2010, 5:03 am by MorLawes.

None.

Jul 22 2010, 9:01 am Sand Wraith Post #7

she/her

@A of S T:
I like open source and the GRP pack I put together was open source, so long as the sole condition of credit being given where it's due (or at least a link) was met. Maybe I'm just too touchy and my heart bleeds, but the requirement is simple enough that a quick shoutout can meet it. My line of thinking is that if something or someone is not credited (or there are no generic shoutouts), it's stolen.

Quote from MorLawes
Excuse me, but credit IS given in the readme, included in the download zip. I really didn't feel like typing the list out all over again, and I neglected to copy it before I zipped it. Plus, it was like 2:00 in the morning. I was tired. If you really want, I'll stick it in the post, too.

My mistake then. I tend not to bother with anything that isn't completely finished because I just end up being disappointed because the project dies or something, which is why I didn't download the ZIP and see the file. I may or may not test out the mod. Again, sorry for bothering you.

Jul 22 2010, 6:38 pm MorLawes Post #8

Eh, sorry for being overly touchy meself. I'm a bit paranoid, so when that sorta thing happens and I'm worried I did something wrong, I get overly defensive.
That, and I don't ENTIRELY understand open-source vs. not. I try to use open-source stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean I know wth that means :ermm: .

None.

Jul 23 2010, 12:36 am Jack Post #9

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from MorLawes
Eh, sorry for being overly touchy meself. I'm a bit paranoid, so when that sorta thing happens and I'm worried I did something wrong, I get overly defensive.
That, and I don't ENTIRELY understand open-source vs. not. I try to use open-source stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean I know wth that means :ermm: .
Open source is data/files that are released in their entirety, generally with a license that allows anyone to edit them. In the case of graphics, in the purest definition that means that the original graphics files were released, but in this case it just means that anyone can use the images, as long as they comply with the license. Just basically give credit where due.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 23 2010, 3:23 am MorLawes Post #10

Oh, ok, thanks. Yeah, so I haven't unintentionally done anything wrong... yet... ack... :crazy:

None.

Jul 23 2010, 11:55 am Magicide Post #11

Sleeping wolves wake hungry.

Another fleet mod?

Jul 23 2010, 7:16 pm MorLawes Post #12

Another? I wasn't aware that it had been done before. Anywho, yeah. Partially. It's a TC, all the races are gonna be changed, probably a couple added. This particular race, yes, is a fleet. Practically everything is air.

None.

Jul 24 2010, 3:32 am A_of-s_t Post #13

aka idmontie

It doesn't matter if it's another fleet mod. We need activity.

Just try to make it unique.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 24 2010, 6:42 am MorLawes Post #14

Ok, I think I've finished the Scintani. They'll probably need some fine-tuning in the area of balancing, but they might just seem over-powered due to the fact that neither zealots nor zerglings (the basic protoss and zerg units) can attack air. That won't remain, the basic units will probably be able to attack air in the other races. So might not need as MUCH balancing. We'll see once the other races are done. In the meantime, enjoy the Scintani (I'll be putting a new zip up with them, within the hour.
EDIT: Ok, I partially lied. VOICES aren't done. But the rest is. So I'm still uploading the new release now. EDIT: It's up.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 24 2010, 7:58 am by MorLawes.

None.

Sep 12 2010, 11:41 pm StarBlue Post #15

I don't know if the pros would think this is awesome, but I'm a low grade starcraft player and I say, "It's better than anything I can do"

None.

Options
  Back to forum