I thought it would be a challenge to create a turret defence map using only the data editor turns out it is not incredibly difficult.
I completed this concept map in about 6-7 hours of work it is not a very complex and does have a couple issues but it does work as a TD map.
Since I did not work on it for very long this is all that happens right now:
- Marines are spawned (starts spawning 10 and then + 1 for each round)
- After all marines have been spawned it waits 10 seconds and then spawn more marines again
- Marines health goes up 1.5x each round
- Marines automatically head down the path to the end of the route
- Allows you to build missile towers along the path (provided you select the scv, and yes the missile turrets shoot the ground)
- When you kill a marine you gain 2 minerals
- You can build multiple missile turrets at once
What the map is missing:
- Starting minerals use a trigger (I think this one could be changed so a trigger is not needed. If anyone has any ideas let me know)
- There is no finish. Marines spawn forever and when a marine reaches the end nothing happens.
- Turret upgrades (this can be easily added)
- Adding different kinds of units spawning (this can be added easily)
- Upgrading things other then health (ex: armour or speed) (this can be done easily)
Edit: Updated to only use 1 trigger for defeat. Fixed a few other minor issues.
Some screen shots: