Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Can gaming make a better world?
Can gaming make a better world?
May 8 2010, 8:45 pm
By: CecilSunkure  

Jul 22 2010, 3:02 am Centreri Post #21

Relatively ancient and inactive

Reasonable people would generally have less time to waste on video games. I'd honestly drop video games right now if I had something to fill up the time with.

None.

Jul 22 2010, 4:57 am Adeon Post #22

Well, then I guess that's not the profile of gamer Jane was talking about. As she said, it's about people who seek the "epic meaning", not people who doesn't have time for it or simply has better things to do.

And you know that WOW, for example, holds a great amount of teenagers who plays all day, everyday. Such amount could be a big human resource for... something. That's the point.

None.

Jul 22 2010, 5:36 am Centreri Post #23

Whaaaat? Epic meaning in a piece of software? People who play all day? Either you're very confused, or you're trying to save a demographic which I consider to be genetically inferior and worthy of being killed off for the sake of the human race.

... but I suppose that's besides the point. Fine, how would you tap into this 'untapped potential' in a viable, cost-effective way using the ideas expressed in the video?

None.

Aug 12 2010, 7:20 pm Vrael Post #24

Quote from Centreri
... but I suppose that's besides the point. Fine, how would you tap into this 'untapped potential' in a viable, cost-effective way using the ideas expressed in the video?
Have the software developers at your company create a game based on the product you sell/your supply chain/the technologies you offer/your business partner, cleverly disguise it as an RTS game of Aliens vs. Humans, release the game for free and analyze the highest scoring players' strategies. Just one idea.

None.

Sep 18 2010, 5:43 am UnholyUrine Post #25

As with anything, I think a good balance will help anyone.

Focusing on the hottest topics about gaming.. aka GAMING CAUSES SCHOOL SHOOTOUTS//violence.

Too much gaming, without any parental care and other individual problems CoULD potentially cause players to be violent.
However, a balanced gamer would actually learn the stories behind each game. And no matter how violent they may be (except for madworld, which is just boring gore), the player learns from it and can use the knowledge in a good way.

it is only if they're a sociopath, then they start using this knowledge in a bad way.

so yeah... wtf, games definately makes the world better.. in balanced doses.

None.

Sep 18 2010, 6:47 am Centreri Post #26

Lol, Vrael. I'm not at all against that, that's smart (and the conspiracy-theory side of me is considering this in light of all those battlefield games). But that's not what this topic is about. This topic is about introducing an achievement system into real life.

UU, you should actually read the topic and find out what it's about.

None.

Dec 29 2010, 4:12 pm Dungeon-Master Post #27

Quote from DevliN
Actually, Nude, a lot of the people against video game violence feel that war games make kids think they can fire guns well since they are able to kick ass in first person shooters. On our last season of "Bullshit!" we actually did an episode on video game violence and gave an 11-year-old who was in love with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare an assault rifle and took him to a shooting range. He didn't know how to hold the gun, hurt himself when he fired it, and cried after ward saying he'd never want to hold a gun again. Still, however, people feel like the games are creating little killing machines. It's so dumb.

Yeah of course, if you give an 11 years old a gun too ehavy for him to handle, he won't be able to handle it correctly. I am 17 years old, never ever saw a firearm, but I'm pretty confident that within minutes, I could figure out how to hold it, reload and put the safety off, and this is familiar with the fact that I see guns taking the quarter of my screen many hours a day.

But back to topic, I think that there definately is something to get from video games. I completely learned english, from scratch, playing starcraft. I developped a critic mind - I observe and analyse things as best I can - while playing starcraft. Many UMS maps made me developp some sense of teamwork, Jail Break bound comes into mind. Portal is my favorite puzzle game, easy to figure out, but it really gave me a few headaches at some point. I definately want to get portal two. I could keep on and on, of course I didn't learned many things from playing Gears of War or Duke Nukem 3D, but there's many games putting cognitive skills to the test.

None.

Dec 29 2010, 8:16 pm poison_us Post #28

Back* from the grave

Quote from Dungeon-Master
Quote from DevliN
Actually, Nude, a lot of the people against video game violence feel that war games make kids think they can fire guns well since they are able to kick ass in first person shooters. On our last season of "Bullshit!" we actually did an episode on video game violence and gave an 11-year-old who was in love with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare an assault rifle and took him to a shooting range. He didn't know how to hold the gun, hurt himself when he fired it, and cried after ward saying he'd never want to hold a gun again. Still, however, people feel like the games are creating little killing machines. It's so dumb.

Yeah of course, if you give an 11 years old a gun too ehavy for him to handle, he won't be able to handle it correctly. I am 17 years old, never ever saw a firearm, but I'm pretty confident that within minutes, I could figure out how to hold it, reload and put the safety off, and this is familiar with the fact that I see guns taking the quarter of my screen many hours a day.

But back to topic, I think that there definately is something to get from video games. I completely learned english, from scratch, playing starcraft. I developped a critic mind - I observe and analyse things as best I can - while playing starcraft. Many UMS maps made me developp some sense of teamwork, Jail Break bound comes into mind. Portal is my favorite puzzle game, easy to figure out, but it really gave me a few headaches at some point. I definately want to get portal two. I could keep on and on, of course I didn't learned many things from playing Gears of War or Duke Nukem 3D, but there's many games putting cognitive skills to the test.
I dunno if learning English is best done on the Internet...I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but your spelling is generally off, although the words are right most of the time...

Gaming can, in theory, make a better world...but it's highly unlikely. It's far more likely to make us into fat, lazy, antisocial Americ people that think our problems can be solved with pressing restart, or, if worst comes to worst, taking out the cartridge and blowing on it.

Dec 30 2010, 12:45 am BeDazed Post #29

I don't think games do a lot of good in the world. Yes, in some cases- it can differ from the general. However, the way I see it- most games incur letting the grade suffer, or making tremendous amounts of 'uneducated dumb people', 'no lifers', and 'bad health guys'.

As for achievements in your life.
Quote from Dungeon-Master
You simply cannot call this an achievement.

None.

Dec 30 2010, 1:35 pm Dungeon-Master Post #30

Oh hey I know my spelling isn't perfect, it's just because I don't read enough in engligh. You wouldn't see me doing any mistake writing French. It's better to write while doing mistakes than not understanding!

Well she said that we need to find a way to harness all this gaming time by finding what is improved when someone plays videogames. We are still not at that point, so it actually is useless, but if we ever find out, we'd be rolling on a huge train.

None.

Options
  Back to forum