Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1
Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1
May 8 2010, 6:45 pm
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Jun 11 2010, 8:14 pm Centreri Post #101

Relatively ancient and inactive

Statistically... Curse has never been a WCIII mapping powerhouse either. ^^

None.

Jun 11 2010, 8:16 pm DevliN Post #102

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, really. I only know of them due to my WoW addons.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 11 2010, 8:22 pm Centreri Post #103

I don't think they've ever been into any kind of mapmaking before. They rose to prominence with Mapster because Hive dropped the ball and provided limited SCII coverage, WC3Campaigns ignored it, SEN ignored it (Damn admins) and they provided full coverage and apparently did some nice PR work. It's very impressive... but kind of takes the wind from their argument that we suck because we used to be SCI mappers. We're doing fine, considering how few SCII mappers we have, and we have our own accomplishments. They just have more people and yes, their people seem to be primarily drawn from WCIII mapping sites and are temporarily better SCII mappers than our existing ones. And it's mostly them having more people and to this day better resources and coverage.

Also... I USE WOWINTERFACE FOR MY WOW ADDONS. :omfg: Easier to find what I want, fewer clicks needed to manually install it, and it looks nicer. <_<

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2010, 8:43 pm by Centreri.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 9:54 pm payne Post #104

:payne:

As far as I remember, this topic already had a clean-up due to the large amount of off-topic posts.
I suggest we stop talking about sc2mapster.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 12 2010, 12:00 am by DevliN. Reason: Correcting the English so it doesn't sound like you're

None.

Jun 12 2010, 5:32 am Sixen Post #105

Quote from DevliN
That's his point.
winrar!

Quote from Centreri
I don't think they've ever been into any kind of mapmaking before. They rose to prominence with Mapster because Hive dropped the ball and provided limited SCII coverage, WC3Campaigns ignored it, SEN ignored it (Damn admins) and they provided full coverage and apparently did some nice PR work. It's very impressive... but kind of takes the wind from their argument that we suck because we used to be SCI mappers. We're doing fine, considering how few SCII mappers we have, and we have our own accomplishments. They just have more people and yes, their people seem to be primarily drawn from WCIII mapping sites and are temporarily better SCII mappers than our existing ones. And it's mostly them having more people and to this day better resources and coverage.
My point was that SEN was known to be the prime SC1 Mapping Place. The Hive was known to be the prime War3 mapping place. In that regard, SEN did not rise to take on War3, a new website was born for a new community... Which is the case with Mapster. When War4 comes out, Mapster will not be able to provide coverage for that. A new website will need to rise to take on the task.

Quote from Centreri
Also... I USE WOWINTERFACE FOR MY WOW ADDONS. :omfg: Easier to find what I want, fewer clicks needed to manually install it, and it looks nicer. <_<
Mmm, WoWi is pretty cool. We share an IRC channel with them.

None.

Jun 12 2010, 11:39 pm Demented Shaman Post #106

Quote from DevliN
Yeah, I originally rated devilesk's the highest mostly due to the amount of enjoyment I got from it.
If you didn't even know I had scaled infested terrans I wonder what even more significant things you didn't know were in the map. What a poor judge.

None.

Jun 13 2010, 4:34 am DevliN Post #107

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I have yet to see a 200% Infested Terran anywhere. Where should I be looking? Maybe I should have given more kudos to your map for having the ability to change a model's size. Yeah.

EDIT:
I think it's funny that if I were to redo my scores again or remove mine entirely, you wouldn't have won anything from this.

EDIT2:
Funny how missing two small words throws off the meaning. Woops.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2010, 7:43 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 13 2010, 4:38 am Demented Shaman Post #108

Quote from DevliN
I have yet to see a 200% Infested Terran anywhere. Where should I be looking? Maybe I should have given more kudos to your map for having the ability to change a model's size. Yeah.

EDIT:
I think it's funny that if I were to redo my scores again or remove mine entirely, you wouldn't have won this.
If you had killed some buildings you would have found a bunch of boss enemies spawning from them. And it was all done in the data editor.

I also bet you overlooked the 26 unique abilities that each have 3 levels.

None.

Jun 13 2010, 4:47 am Centreri Post #109

Sixen, that's a pretty fair but wrong point. I see absolutely no reason why an existing website couldn't have become the SCII mapping website had it switched its focus or opened a new portal just like Curse did. And, yeah, WOWinterface is awesome but Curse is unfortunately more popular. I can't get addons like Pitbull or Eloquence or Fontain on WOWInterface. Always a bother.

@Devilesk
There's nothing innovative about scaling models, creating abilities with levels or making units spawn. It IS impressive making units spawn with the data editor, but it's also doable very easily with triggers and you left no documentation.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2010, 5:27 am by Centreri.

None.

Jun 15 2010, 7:25 am Sixen Post #110

Quote from Centreri
Sixen, that's a pretty fair but wrong point. I see absolutely no reason why an existing website couldn't have become the SCII mapping website had it switched its focus or opened a new portal just like Curse did. And, yeah, WOWinterface is awesome but Curse is unfortunately more popular. I can't get addons like Pitbull or Eloquence or Fontain on WOWInterface. Always a bother.
Because the entire website and community gathered around one thing, not Mapping in general, SC1 Mapping (in the case of SEN.) Some people in the SEN community won't bother getting SC2, just like some didn't get War3. This is even more of a problem at the Hive, there are diehard war3 fans that want nothing to do with SC.

None.

Jun 15 2010, 7:38 am DavidJCobb Post #111

Quote from Centreri
devilesk's map sucks.
Quote from Sixen
SEN sucks.
Am I reading this properly?

None.

Jun 16 2010, 1:40 pm Temp Post #112

Is there still going to be a detailed scoring post?

None.

Jun 16 2010, 11:08 pm DevliN Post #113

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Since no one else seems to be posting them, I'll do it. :P

Scores by DevliN:
ISOLATION by Swampfox
Complexity: 5/5
Glitchness: 5/5
Fun: 11/15
Originality: 10/10
Content: 5/5
Knowledge: 10/10Total: 46/50
Very interesting map. Attempts have been made to make something similar in SC1, but the limitations of that editor really inhibited them. I admit it took a few tries to figure out what I was supposed to do, but once I figured that out the rest was definitely enjoyable. This was very, very well made, and came with some excellent tutorials.

Impossible One by payne
Complexity: 2/5
As a side note, I originally gave a 2/5 because the version you linked us was the multi-player one. Good thing I checked the DLDB for a different version. :P
Fun: 8/15
Originality: 3/10
Content: 2/5
Knowledge: 8/10Total: 28/50
I actually do like Impossible Scenario maps quite a bit. I had to give lower scores for complexity because compared to most, this isn't that complex of a map. It definitely shows you know how units interact with others, but doesn't have much to show for the map editor itself.

Find the Dot by Sixen
Complexity: 3/5
Fun: 5/15
Content: 1/5
Knowledge: 4/10Total: 28/50
This map shows a very clever use of some more complex mechanics, but it is just a simple test map. I gave high marks for originality and the lack of glitches, but couldn't do much about content or fun, considering I had my fill after two run-throughs. Good map, though, for anyone looking to use a similar feature in a larger map.

Capture Points by Temp
Complexity: 4/5
Fun: 12/15
Originality: 8/10
Content: 4/5
Knowledge: 9/10Total: 43/50
I think this is a great start to what could be a very fun map. I like the idea a lot, and like Isolation it has been attempted before, just not with this level of success. I think a bit more effort could have been put in to unit descriptions and whatnot, but I didn't dock any points for that. Great work.

Zone Control Beta 1.0 by JB4times4
Glitchness: 4/5
Fun: 9/15
Originality: 1/10
Knowledge: 10/10Total: 34/50
Good port of Zone Control. I'm not sure if I just couldn't figure it out and did something wrong, but for some reason my BunkerBuilder seemed useless since it never actually did anything. Was it supposed to be able to burrow to build bunkers? Aside from that, I thought this was a very solid map. I had to give a low score for originality, but I do really appreciate the effort and definitely love the easy upgrade system.

Mech Combat by Centreri
Fun: 13/15
Knowledge: 10/10Total: 45/50
This map is near perfect for what this contest was trying to achieve. Centreri clearly put a lot of thought into it and developed some great tutorials for other map-makers to utilize. I took off a point for the non-functional UI, but everything else seemed to work really well.

sta47 by devilesk
Fun: 15/15
Originality: 6/10
Knowledge: 10/10Total: 45/50
This was by far the most fun to play around with for me. Though it is like any other "defend the ___" map, the level up system, the custom items, and the damn Uberlisk more than make up for it, and devilesk has some really great tutorials to go along with it. I really enjoyed the terrain and doodad placement, the waves were tough, and the hero unit was a fun tool to use to massacre.

Scores by isolatedpurity:
Mech Combat by Centreri
This could be a lot of fun once all the tweaking is done.
Glitchness: 3/5
Knowledge: 10/10
Total: 44/50

Impossible One by payne
Very simple map, there wasn't a whole lot done to it. The tutorials themselves don't entirely apply directly to the map, but they are general purpose so that's cool. Usually the best Impossible maps have separate arenas where different units can shine (such as marine vs lurkers). So if you are going to make more complex ones with a team, I believe I heard you mention, maybe take that into consideration?
Complexity: 2/5
Fun: 8/15
Originality: 3/10
Content: 3/5
Knowledge: 7/10
Score: 28/50 +1 bonus point for using a sen loading screen ;o

I loved zone control. It doesn't entirely seem to be working and I think the method for taking over the zones might be a little weak, even when it does work. Nice video tutorials though.
Fun: 10/15
Originality: 4/10
Total: 36/50

sta47 by devilesk
Great articles. I'm sure when you have the gameplay sorted out as far as abilities, waves, items, and/or whatever you are going to end up doing, it will be a nice map.
Originality: 5/10
Total: 42/50

Capture Points by Temp
Impressive. This type of system can be used in a lot of different map types, opposed to "build near the beacon" and etc. The game itself needs some tweaking, but the potential for fun chaos is great.
Total: 44/50

ISOLATION by Swampfox
Beautiful work, especially with the UI and the environment. Definitely want to check this out when it's ready for release.
Fun: 11/15
Total: 43/50

Find the Dot by Sixen
The main fault is the article you linked to, as I told you over IM, the only revision you did to the article was add a comment.
Fun: 6/15
Content: 2/5
Knowledge: 0/10
Total: 28/50

Scores by Corbo:
Mech Combat by Centreri
Originality: 5/10
Total: 39/50
Comment: I don't know, it's basically smash the hell out of everyone, nice maps to play once of twice in a while but boring after more plays, so unless it gets added soemthing that makes it stand out from what I'd call a "first map ever" type of map i don't see this getting different.

Impossible One by payne
Fun: 7/15
Originality: 4/10
Content: 3/5
Knowledge: 9/10
Score: 27/50
Comment: wut? I agree with IP, there wasn't much done in here I feel that it got somehow limited due to deadline, due to whatever limitations SC1 had but this is SC2! I expected a greater ammount of challenges, or at least more innovative ones.

Glitchness: 2/5
Originality: 2/10
Total: 35/50
Comment: I'd like to give out +2 on awesome video tutorials. It's... zone control? There's nothing original on the map IMO plus it wasn't achieved to perfection, though yeah, is just a beta. It could've been more even when it was an old concept of a map.

sta47 by devilesk
Originality: 6/10
Total: 42/50
Comment: This can be developed into something really GREAT. And even with all the flaws of right now (incompleteness...) I'd like to give him +5 to the total score for making a great ammount of knowledge participations.

Capture Points by Temp
Originality: 9/10
Knowledge: 8/10
Total: 40/50
Comment: Interesting map,involves a very interesting concept that can probably take over the whole diplomacy type of maps. However I do think that it lacks something, dunno maybe I just don't enjoy this kind of map so it lowers a bit the fun out of me.

ISOLATION by Swampfox
Total: 41/50

And the final tally:
Code
                                    Devlin   IP   Corbo      TOTAL
1. ISOLATION by Swampfox              46     43     41        130
2. sta47 by devilesk                  45     42     42        129
3. Mech Combat by Centreri            45     44     39        128
4. Capture Points by Temp             43     44     40        127
5. Zone Control Beta by JB4times4     34     36     35        105
6. Find the Dot by Sixen              28     28     28         84
7. Impossible One by payne            28     28     27         83

You'll notice a few times that bonus points are mentioned. None of them went toward the final tally.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 23 2010, 4:04 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 16 2010, 11:45 pm Temp Post #114

Thanks for posting them

None.

Jun 17 2010, 1:21 am Demented Shaman Post #115

Quote from DevliN
and the hero unit was a fun tool to use to massacre.
Did you know that there's eight different hero units each with their own set of spells? You could buy them in the command center which was a shared building owned by the computer.

None.

Jun 17 2010, 8:03 am DevliN Post #116

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yep, I did. Do you have future plans to limit the amount you can control at any given time, by the way? I was thrown off by the idea of choosing one of 3, but then being able to make a seemingly unlimited amount of other heroes despite that.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 17 2010, 8:07 am Demented Shaman Post #117

It's because the map is incomplete, obviously.

None.

Jun 17 2010, 8:16 am DevliN Post #118

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

So the CC being able to make them is only for testing then? Got it.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 17 2010, 8:19 am Demented Shaman Post #119

No, the CC will be making them. They just won't be free and available from the beginning.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum