Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1
Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1
May 8 2010, 6:45 pm
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >

Jun 9 2010, 3:10 pm Forsaken Archer Post #81

#1 ISOLATION by Swampfox: 130
#2 sta47 by devilesk: 129
#3 Mech Combat by Centreri: 128
#4 Capture Points by Temp: 127

Wow, ended up incredibly close there. I was praying there wasn't some sort of tie to complicate things when I was tallying up. I'll make a more detailed scoring post later on, but if you pm me your paypal, I'll give you the monies swamp and dev.

None.

Jun 9 2010, 4:18 pm Swampfox Post #82

Wow! Thanks so much guys!

None.

Jun 9 2010, 4:22 pm payne Post #83

:payne:

NNUUUUU!!! :(
Am I last? :teehee:

None.

Jun 9 2010, 7:17 pm Jack Post #84

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Woo! Good job Swampy! Congrats everyone who placed :D

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 11 2010, 1:41 am payne Post #85

Quote from payne
NNUUUUU!!! :(
Am I last? :teehee:
I confirm I am last, often in equality with SiXeN >.<
I hope we'll get to see the complete reviews posted soon for the public ;o

None.

Jun 11 2010, 1:53 am Centreri Post #86

Relatively ancient and inactive

What's submitted so far was incredibly disappointing. According to Corbo, Devilesk's generic zombie-killing game with nothing complex beyond tutorialized concepts like an inventory is more complex and more original than my map. And he tried to give him five extra points for having "a lot of articles" (compare the damn article quality).

This is, of course, from my biased perspective.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 2:17 am Swampfox Post #87

Quote from Centreri
What's submitted so far was incredibly disappointing. According to Corbo, Devilesk's generic zombie-killing game with nothing complex beyond tutorialized concepts like an inventory is more complex and more original than my map. And he tried to give him five extra points for having "a lot of articles" (compare the damn article quality).

I would, sadly, have to agree with you.

I'm also surprised a map like mine won when you take a look at the quality of maps coming out of sc2mapster. You would think SEN would be able to pump out some better stuff being the very map-making-oriented community that it is...

None.

Jun 11 2010, 2:22 am Centreri Post #88

I argued for a while with Devlin to push your score up successfully. His original marking had you four points behind Devilesk, his revised one had you one point ahead.

And, yeah, as I argued then, rewarding Devilesk's copying of SCI concepts with no innovation in our first competition was not the way to go. But I guess Corbo didn't get the memo. Or he's been far more detached from SCII than I'd thought and doesn't know that there are TUTORIALS these days for everything that might possibly be considered complex in Sta47. SEN simply isn't pumping out anything else new right now, and it's very disappointing. And thank god Devilesk was #2 - that's bad enough, but having our best map be a SCI map ripoff would've been just SAD.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 2:40 am DevliN Post #89

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, I originally rated devilesk's the highest mostly due to the amount of enjoyment I got from it. I dunno if and when IP will post the scores, but I sort of explain my scores for each map. I liked the concept of Isolation a lot more than the actual gameplay (basically because after 2 or 3 plays, I had my fill). Other than that, it was a fantastic map, and congratulations for winning. :)

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 11 2010, 2:46 am Demented Shaman Post #90

Quote from Centreri

Just accept the fact that my map beat your map. No one likes a sore loser. Also, there's more to my map than just an inventory system, but obviously you're too ignorant to realize that. I should have gotten those five extra points from Corbo, which would put me in first, but unlike you I'm not complaining. I already accomplished my goal.

Quote from Centreri
I argued for a while with Devlin to push your score up successfully. His original marking had you four points behind Devilesk, his revised one had you one point ahead.

And, yeah, as I argued then, rewarding Devilesk's copying of SCI concepts with no innovation in our first competition was not the way to go. But I guess Corbo didn't get the memo. Or he's been far more detached from SCII than I'd thought and doesn't know that there are TUTORIALS these days for everything that might possibly be considered complex in Sta47. SEN simply isn't pumping out anything else new right now, and it's very disappointing. And thank god Devilesk was #2 - that's bad enough, but having our best map be a SCI map ripoff would've been just SAD.
If you actually knew my map, you'd know that there are things done there that aren't even possible in SC. You have no idea what you're talking about.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 2:51 am DevliN Post #91

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

In his defense (as far as tutorials go), more than half of yours weren't organized or very descriptive. They mostly consist of a few sentences without any screenshots or much description. In this case I'd say he's right to not include the extra points because quantity versus quality should be taken into consideration.

Just so you know, I also originally defended having your map scored the highest of my ratings, too. I was a huge fan of it, and Cent can vouch for that. :P

My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 11 2010, 2:55 am Demented Shaman Post #92

Quote from DevliN
Just so you know, I also originally defended having your map scored the highest of my ratings, too. I was a huge fan of it, and Cent can vouch for that. :P
Yes, because my map is simply better than Centreri's.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 4:18 am payne Post #93

Quote from DevliN
In his defense (as far as tutorials go), more than half of yours weren't organized or very descriptive. They mostly consist of a few sentences without any screenshots or much description. In this case I'd say he's right to not include the extra points because quantity versus quality should be taken into consideration.

This kind of wiki indeed isn't informative much for a total noob that wants to achieve what the title promises him. ;o
(I already sense Devilesk arguing that this noob shouldn't exists)

None.

Jun 11 2010, 7:38 am Sixen Post #94

Quote from Swampfox
I'm also surprised a map like mine won when you take a look at the quality of maps coming out of sc2mapster. You would think SEN would be able to pump out some better stuff being the very map-making-oriented community that it is...
orly? SEN never pumped out quality War3 maps either, what makes you think there's going to be quality SC2 maps? It's an SC1 Mapping Community, and that's why.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2010, 8:16 am by Sixen.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 9:36 am Temp Post #95

Quote from Sixen
orly? SEN never pumped out quality War3 maps either, what makes you think there's going to be quality SC2 maps? It's an SC1 Mapping Community, and that's why.

This is a terrible thing to say, maps come from people not communities. Sure a more SC2 oriented community will have more people to make quality SC2 maps but that does not mean that SEN cannot produce maps of high quality.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 9:59 am Centreri Post #96

That's Sixen trying to be useful.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 10:27 am Sixen Post #97

Quote from Temp
This is a terrible thing to say, maps come from people not communities. Sure a more SC2 oriented community will have more people to make quality SC2 maps but that does not mean that SEN cannot produce maps of high quality.
Statistically, that's incorrect.

Quote from Centreri
That's Sixen trying to be useful.
And this is Centreri being even less useful.

None.

Jun 11 2010, 12:49 pm Ashamed Post #98

Hear me Raor!!

If i put my map on this... I would of won :)
I have about 10-15 new theory already added to my map.. That I have yet to see in any sc2 map :)
( Its just a mass game, but its very easy to macro )

None.

Jun 11 2010, 6:49 pm payne Post #99

Quote from Sixen
Quote from Swampfox
Have we really been a War3 community? Ever? :|

None.

Jun 11 2010, 8:00 pm DevliN Post #100

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from payne
Quote from Sixen
Quote from Swampfox
Have we really been a War3 community? Ever? :|
That's his point.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum