Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: SCMDraft Freezing?
SCMDraft Freezing?
Apr 11 2010, 5:57 pm
By: LoveLess  

Apr 11 2010, 5:57 pm LoveLess Post #1

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

I have never experienced these problems with Draft before, but now it's flat out freezing on me. Not closing or anything like that, but flat out... Just not responding. I am getting pretty pissed off since I actually have the motivation to work on some maps now. Please... What the fuck is happening? It's only Draft that is giving me problems, every other program works fine, so it's not my PC.

None.

Apr 11 2010, 6:15 pm Apos Post #2

I order you to forgive yourself!

It seems to happen very frequently on the newer version. When I don't need to work with EUDs, I just use the older one (It seems to be more stable.) Link

Apr 11 2010, 6:41 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I know it's probably not an option, but using Windows XP fixes a lot of problems with ScmDraft.

I would recommend to anyone wishing to use Windows 7 to install a dual boot with XP and 7. Unfortunately you have to have XP installed first...

Apr 11 2010, 10:43 pm poison_us Post #4

Back* from the grave

I changed the compatibility mode to WinME, and it works for me, at least so far.

Apr 12 2010, 12:36 am Lanthanide Post #5

Yes, when running Scmdraft on Win7 or Vista, run it in Windows 95/98/ME compatibility mode as this will fix several issues. Running it in WinXP compatibility mode doesn't seem to help - I guess it is using some old API calls that XP compatibility mode doesn't support that WinME compatibility mode does.

None.

Apr 12 2010, 9:29 am NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Lanthanide
Yes, when running Scmdraft on Win7 or Vista, run it in Windows 95/98/ME compatibility mode as this will fix several issues. Running it in WinXP compatibility mode doesn't seem to help - I guess it is using some old API calls that XP compatibility mode doesn't support that WinME compatibility mode does.
Just to clarify, I don't recommend compatibility mode, I'm talking of a separate, 2nd installation of Windows.

EDIT:
The problem is you guys are trying to mix old and new technology. It just won't always work perfectly. Eventually you will run into problems. And these problems are self made. For whatever reasons you gave up your old reliable system and are "trying out" something new. That's asking for problems. So why the hell don't you leave yourself a backup plan (aka 2nd installment) until you know your new system?
[/rant]

(Sorry but I think that had to be said considering the recent amount of win7 specific problems all over the board.)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 12 2010, 7:31 pm by NudeRaider.

Apr 12 2010, 4:26 pm Ahli Post #7

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Lanthanide
Can you save map files with "save as" on WinME/98 compatibility mode?
I can't. :(

Apr 12 2010, 8:50 pm LoveLess Post #8

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from NudeRaider
The problem is you guys are trying to mix old and new technology. It just won't always work perfectly. Eventually you will run into problems. And these problems are self made. For whatever reasons you gave up your old reliable system and are "trying out" something new. That's asking for problems. So why the hell don't you leave yourself a backup plan (aka 2nd installment) until you know your new system?
[/rant]
So because I use other programs and new age games that require a higher tier system, I'm wrong for wanting to play and mapmake on SC?

None.

Apr 12 2010, 10:09 pm Ahli Post #9

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

My scmdraft freezes everytime I scroll during I am holding the left mouse button. I hold it, move the mouse to make a square (e.g. location). Then I hit the zone where it should start scrolling and it freezes...

Apr 13 2010, 9:44 am NudeRaider Post #10

Quote from LoveLess
So because I use other programs and new age games that require a higher tier system, I'm wrong for wanting to play and mapmake on SC?[/color]
I'm not sure if I get all implications of your question but a new computer doesn't mean you can't put Windows XP on it and then Win7 on top of it.
You're not wrong for wanting it, but for not having a backup plan if your wishes don't get fulfilled.

Options
  Back to forum