Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: An interesting little effect
An interesting little effect
Mar 5 2010, 11:04 pm
By: xAngelSpiritx  

Mar 5 2010, 11:04 pm xAngelSpiritx Post #1

eternal lurker

An interesting little effect I found when experimenting with death animations.

Anyway. Normally, if you decompile the Zealot's iscript and check the Death animation, you'll see this:

But, let's say you change it to this:

Do notice the 'imgol 154'. This is the Zealot Warp Flash entry.
Also notice the omission of the playfram lines.

When you compile, add it to an mpq, and run, you get this effect:

It looks pretty neat. The Zealot freezes in its current frame, turns completely white, and slowly fades out.
In order to get the full effect, I'd recommend trying it yourself. It's pretty hard to portray it with just screenshots.

Some notes:
  • This effect is not limited to the Zealot. I haven't done enough testing to make a list of what works and what doesn't, but most protoss units seem to be fine.
  • For obvious reasons, this only works with units that have a Warp Flash images.dat entry. You can try adding one yourself(havent tried that yet though).
  • This will work even if your units have custom .grp's.
  • Failure to omit the 'setfldirect' opcode results in the death animation always facing up.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 6 2010, 2:17 am by xAngelSpiritx.

None.

Mar 6 2010, 2:48 am EzDay281 Post #2

36, a mod named for how long it took to make, created by Voyager I believe well over a year back utilized this for a lot of the Protoss. :P

None.

Options
  Back to forum