Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: Map Help
Map Help
Mar 2 2010, 5:35 am
By: kbmoney87  

Mar 2 2010, 5:35 am kbmoney87 Post #1

alright so, today i was working on a map on SCM EDITOR 0.8.0. im new to this editor, but i consider myself a veteran mapmaker
anywho, like i said i was working on it earlier, closed it, then it said i couldnt get back in it later during the night because it was protected??
apparently i need to "Compile with -IGNORE_PROTECTION option set"??? so ya, i find this quite bullshit, i havent toggled with any protection
to my knowledge, ive only been working on triggers and terrain. so any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

-KB

None.

Mar 2 2010, 5:37 am rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You need to revert to a backup or delete the backup database. The map is corrupted. Also you can try to open it with any of the other editors (starforge, staredit) and attempt to fix the corruption.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2010, 5:39 am kbmoney87 Post #3

goddamnit, how could that have happened??

none of my triggers have been out of the ordinary, units are all legit

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2010, 9:17 am by NudeRaider. Reason: merged posts

None.

Mar 2 2010, 5:52 am rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

SCMdraft tends to corrupt maps sometimes. It's a fairly common problem. That's why you should always save backups and multiple copies. If you're using windows 7, SI has been having problems with it. Post it in the SCMDraft thread and sometime in the near future SI might be around to fix it. He may ask for the map. Also, make sure you're using the latest copy of SCMDraft, also found in the SCMDraft thread.

You can try to re-assemble the map with mapkit.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2010, 6:09 am stickynote Post #5

Wait, how bad are the problems for windows 7? I just got a new computer with windows 7 and have yet to open up my editor. Is it common corruption/crashing? Or does it happen rarely?

None.

Mar 2 2010, 6:20 am rockz Post #6

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Ask ex for an extended list of problems with 7. Apparently you can't zoom.

Mar 2 2010, 6:31 am Lanthanide Post #7

I'm using Windows 7, haven't had any problems with zoom. Haven't really had any crashes or map corruption either (except for location crash, see below). Sometimes when using string trigger editor and making lots of changes (especially if they involve strings), it gives errors about strings being corrupted. Closing the map and re-opening gets rid of those errors.

I don't have any names on the locations, and the string editor itself doesn't show strings in the top selection box, just a big black box. You can click on the strings in the top box and they will appear in the bottom box for you to edit, but it's not really possible to find a particular string to edit it this way (since they're all black).

The location crash I mentioned above is when suddenly my map, and old backups of my map, would crash when I looked at the locations. Running scmdraft once in WinXP compatibility mode, and then going back to 'regular' Win7 mode resolved that problem, though (reinstalling scmdarft, restarting computer didn't make any difference).

None.

Mar 2 2010, 9:29 am NudeRaider Post #8

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from kbmoney87
alright so, today i was working on a map on SCM EDITOR 0.8.0. im new to this editor, but i consider myself a veteran mapmaker
anywho, like i said i was working on it earlier, closed it, then it said i couldnt get back in it later during the night because it was protected??
apparently i need to "Compile with -IGNORE_PROTECTION option set"??? so ya, i find this quite bullshit, i havent toggled with any protection
to my knowledge, ive only been working on triggers and terrain. so any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

-KB
ScmDraft respects a map maker's wish to protect a map. So even if it could open the map it wouldn't when it detects any kind of protection.
The problem is that it's very sensitive about copy protections. Even things that are not meant to protect the map will be misinterpreted and preventing you from opening the map. Even a write protected file used to do this.
The easiest workaround that has never failed me so far is open the map in Starforge, save it and then you can reopen it in ScmDraft.

Oh and ignore the "Compile with -IGNORE_PROTECTION option set" unless you have the source code.

Mar 2 2010, 5:14 pm Oo.DaMeiN.oO Post #9

I had this problem to, all I had to do was open it with OSMap. Make sure you choose to leave comments/locations how they were or you'd have to rename everything :P

None.

Mar 2 2010, 6:06 pm Kaias Post #10

Quote from rockz
I've had no problems at all while using Windows 7, not even with zoom.

None.

Mar 8 2010, 9:30 pm PoisonHunter Post #11

Just a few minutes ago, after I added 2-3 new triggers, my map wouldn't open anymore from my scmdraft shortcut.

What I discovered is that you can go to where the actual file is located, do "open with", then click scmdraft, and it should open. But to be on the safe side, you can also save a back-up.

p.s : after opening and removing the 2 triggers, I could open it fine with scmdraft for some reason.

edit : just found that you can open a file that works, then open the one that doesn't, which should open the one that you couldn't open at first.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 8 2010, 9:37 pm by PoisonHunter.

None.

Mar 9 2010, 4:38 pm LoveLess Post #12

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Kaias
Quote from rockz
I've had no problems at all while using Windows 7, not even with zoom.
Same.

I suggest that you disable most of the "Are you sure?" crap Windows has come up with. In my opinion, disabling it helps you out more than enabling it.

None.

Options
  Back to forum