Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: Maps will not load to Starcraft
Maps will not load to Starcraft
Feb 27 2010, 3:43 am
By: Urahara  

Feb 27 2010, 3:43 am Urahara Post #1

I have been working on a map and i decided i wanted to tested out
As i went into the folder I could not find the map
I could not, find and other maps i have saved into my (C: Progran Files/Starcraft/Maps/) Folders
Is this common, am i not doing something right?
Also, is this in the right section? i didnt know which to put it in :P

None.

Feb 27 2010, 4:13 am rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Urahara
I have been working on a map and I decided I wanted to test it out. I went into the folder and I could not find the map. I could not find it and other maps I have previously saved into my (C: Progran Files/Starcraft/Maps/) Folders. Is this common? Am I not doing something right?
If you can't find any of the maps in explorer, that means they don't exist in that location. Sounds like you cleared out your maps folder, or I mistranslated your English. SC reads maps in the ./Maps/ folder, but the GUI will only show 256 files per folder. If you have more than 256, likely the map was named with a high beginning letter like "t" and the 256th file began with an "s" or something. It's still there (if you can see it in explorer) but SC won't recognize it unless you're on battle.net.

I realize English is not your native language, but if you could, please try harder in your sentence forming. Even simple things like capitalizing the word "I" all the time really go a long way in making your posts easier to read and understand.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Feb 27 2010, 4:21 am Urahara Post #3

Sorry I misworded(is that a word?) the sentence. While in Starcraft I could not find them but, the same thing with explorer, I could not find them, yet when I check SCMd it shows up in there

None.

Feb 27 2010, 5:44 am Falkoner Post #4

SCM Draft uses explorer to show maps, if it doesn't show up in Explorer SCM Draft shouldn't be able to see it(unless you're using the recent list or something), try a Save As in SCM Draft and put them where you want them.

None.

Feb 27 2010, 5:46 am rockz Post #5

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

search for where you saved it either by opening it up in SCMDraft's explorer, or f3 -> "filename.scx". Alternatively, resave it in the proper directory. I think you may have saved it in some different area.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Feb 27 2010, 9:58 pm Urahara Post #6

I found something else, I cant save it to my program files, but I can save it to my documents then copy/paste it to Program files
Is this something that has to do with Vista?

None.

Feb 27 2010, 10:34 pm rockz Post #7

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Make sure programs have write privileges.

Since the file isn't being saved (I assume you searched for the file and didn't find anything), that's the only logical problem. However, if SCMDraft sees it, then it IS being saved. Compare the size of your C: before and after you save a new file. You should be able to right click the file in scmdraft's explorer and see the exact filesize and make sure that the net change in C: is that much.

Feb 27 2010, 11:11 pm Urahara Post #8

Write Privileges?
and I did, the size changes and Scmd explorer can see it, but windows explorer cant see it

None.

Feb 28 2010, 1:02 am stickynote Post #9

Okay, I don't know if you did this already, but open the map in SCMdraft, and look at the top; it should say the location of your map. If it's not there, then I have no idea.

None.

Feb 28 2010, 2:05 am rockz Post #10

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

This is a windows or user error then.

Write privileges should be under properties -> security, but it's being written, so this isn't important.

I really think you're saving it somewhere else. Copy/paste the file onto your desktop, then search for it again. If only one comes up, I'd reinstall windows.

Feb 28 2010, 5:51 pm Urahara Post #11

Quote from rockz
This is a windows or user error then.

Write privileges should be under properties -> security, but it's being written, so this isn't important.

I really think you're saving it somewhere else. Copy/paste the file onto your desktop, then search for it again. If only one comes up, I'd reinstall windows.
Reinstall windows?

None.

Mar 1 2010, 12:14 am Lanthanide Post #12

Quote from Urahara
I found something else, I cant save it to my program files, but I can save it to my documents then copy/paste it to Program files
Is this something that has to do with Vista?
Yes, Vista has tricky rules when it comes to Program Files directory. Windows 7 is the same.

See here for details: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

If you find that link confusing, try googling "vista compatibility files" and look around at other results, hopefully one of them will make sense.

I had pretty much this problem on Windows 7.

Sometimes my Starcraft (installed from battlechest) would suddenly stop connecting to b.net with a message that it cannot authenticate my version and I may have a virus. One time this happened when I was in SC, I quit to make a change to my map and started it up again 1 minute later, and got this error.

My solution was to modify the Starcraft shortcut and tell it to run in WinXP compatibility mode. This didn't work on my first installation of SC, because I installed it in the default program files directory, which has special permissions in Win7 that SC, being 12 years old, doesn't know about. It seems that when I ran SC in XP compatibility mode, it could not get access to any of the files in the special compatibility directory - so when I tried to create a game on b.net, the map selection list was completely blank and I could not even navigate to anywhere that might've held maps.

The final solution was to reinstall SC to a custom directory outside of program files, and then run it in WinXP mode. This solves the 'cannot verify version' issue, as well as the 'no maps' issue.

Edit: Also reading the link I posted above, it seems that Vista/W7 employ this same protection system for writes to HKey Local Machine in the registry, which is possibly why my Starcraft install went from working on b.net without issues, to being rejected because it couldn't identify it. Anyway running in WinXP mode fixed it so I haven't bothered looking further.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 1 2010, 12:23 am by Lanthanide.

None.

Mar 1 2010, 2:41 am rockz Post #13

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

oh my god. Not only does it not warn you that it can't save, but it saves in a convoluted place, AND it doesn't show up on a search? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Mar 3 2010, 2:07 am Urahara Post #14

Nvm i think i found the solution
If i run SCMD in compatibility mode for Windows XP it allows me to write on Program Files
Will running in Compat. mode affect my comp?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2010, 2:25 am by Urahara.

None.

Mar 3 2010, 3:28 am rockz Post #15

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yes, but not in any detrimental way.

Mar 3 2010, 3:37 am Vrael Post #16

Maybe you should try turning off User Account Control and the associated stupid Vista protections, and when you do a search remember to click "include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

Vista is really stupid when it comes to DEP and UAC and that kinda thing, I just turned eveything off as soon as I got vista, and it works great :)

None.

Mar 3 2010, 3:49 am Urahara Post #17

Quote from Vrael
Maybe you should try turning off User Account Control and the associated stupid Vista protections, and when you do a search remember to click "include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

Vista is really stupid when it comes to DEP and UAC and that kinda thing, I just turned eveything off as soon as I got vista, and it works great :)
Do you have a tutorial or something for turning it all off?

None.

Mar 3 2010, 4:14 am Lanthanide Post #18

Quote from Vrael
UAC and DEP have nothing to do with the problem that is being experienced in this thread. I linked to an article that explains what is going on in my post above. The search indexing would probably help to locate these files being shuffled away in the virtualised directory, though. But you can find them just as easily by clicking on "Compatibility files", once you know about it.

As far as I am aware, you cannot turn this virtualised program files functionality off, and actually for the most part it is a very good security feature. The only things that have problems with it are older non Vista-aware programs, of which Starcraft is obviously one. The solution is to install SC outside of the Program Files directory, and then you've sidestepped the issue completely.

Also I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 7: it's Vista Done Right. UAC is also far less obnoxious in Win7.

None.

Options
  Back to forum