Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: Cannot default Dark Swarm to Enabled
Cannot default Dark Swarm to Enabled
Feb 22 2010, 10:37 am
By: Lanthanide  

Feb 22 2010, 10:37 am Lanthanide Post #1

Topic and description sum it up pretty much.

Setting Dark Swarm to Enabled instead of Researched doesn't stop the Defiler from being able to cast the spell in-game. I don't want to disable it, because I want to have hero defilers in my map that can cast it, I just want to stop the regular defiler from being able to.

I'm guessing I might have to manually edit this, if scmdraft is bugged and can't do it? Alternatively, perhaps Starcraft simply ignores the enabled/researched setting for Dark Swarm. Does anyone know?

None.

Feb 22 2010, 1:22 pm Ahli Post #2

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

You can only disable it or every Defiler has Dark Swarm as a spell because you cannot research that spell.

BUT:
-You can still edit the energy needed (200+ energy & disable the energy upgrade -> only hero defilers can cast that).
-You can modify the energy value of defilers to be lower than the needed energy with triggers (but you cannot detect a unit's current energy without EUDs -> Every normal defiler has a fixed energy value).

Feb 22 2010, 3:43 pm Neki Post #3

Couldn't you just modify the energy of all regular defilers to zero and set the dark swarm cost to 5 energy? Basically what Ahli said, because you said you only needed heroes to cast.

None.

Feb 22 2010, 9:06 pm Lanthanide Post #4

I guess I'll have to set normal defiler's energy to 0 :/

That is the obvious solution, but I didn't want to go that route. The way I am using my defiler, the player gets 1 hero defiler called a 'Cannibal' (that can cast all spells) and 3 normal defilers called 'Full of energy - eat me!' that can't cast anything. The hero defiler starts with 30 energy, where 40 energy is required to cast dark swarm, and more for plague. The idea is that the player would use the hero defiler to consume the regular defilers to gain energy required for spells. Hence it is desirable that the regular defilers be shown to have 200/200 energy, which messes everything up if they can cast dark swarm.

I will investigate constantly attempting to move the regular defilers to non-walkable terrain, as that will cause them to 'stop', however I suspect that if I do that, it will prevent consume from working on them.

None.

Feb 22 2010, 9:21 pm Neki Post #5

Desirable only because it is purely for aesthetics?

None.

Feb 22 2010, 9:24 pm ImagoDeo Post #6

Quote from Lanthanide
I guess I'll have to set normal defiler's energy to 0 :/

That is the obvious solution, but I didn't want to go that route. The way I am using my defiler, the player gets 1 hero defiler called a 'Cannibal' (that can cast all spells) and 3 normal defilers called 'Full of energy - eat me!' that can't cast anything. The hero defiler starts with 30 energy, where 40 energy is required to cast dark swarm, and more for plague. The idea is that the player would use the hero defiler to consume the regular defilers to gain energy required for spells. Hence it is desirable that the regular defilers be shown to have 200/200 energy, which messes everything up if they can cast dark swarm.

I will investigate constantly attempting to move the regular defilers to non-walkable terrain, as that will cause them to 'stop', however I suspect that if I do that, it will prevent consume from working on them.

Confirmed. It says 'invalid target' if you try to use Consume on a unit that is being move-immobilized.

None.

Feb 22 2010, 10:25 pm Lanthanide Post #7

Quote from name:Taylor Swift
Desirable only because it is purely for aesthetics?
Yes. I guess I'll just rename them to "Tasty snack" to avoid mentioning 'energy' and then there's no problem.

Ta ImagoDeo.

None.

Options
  Back to forum