Staredit Network > Forums > Introductions > Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself
Just wanted to introduce myself
Feb 16 2010, 4:21 pm
By: 210Swagga  

Mar 22 2010, 4:16 am UnholyUrine Post #21

:awesome: welcome to ...

UMS heaven... or HELL ..

depends on the way u take it

None.

Mar 25 2010, 12:21 am Dungeon-Master Post #22

Quote from TiKels
Quote from DevliN
repartee
Quote from name:Dungeon-Master's Signature
[...] more of a laissez-faire approach [...]
Quote from payne: We say " Voilà " :P
Quote from Lanthanide: Edit Deux [...] C'est la vie
Oh my god, I HATE when you english people use french quotes !
Brb PMing Dungeon-Master this topic!

I'm adding it right away... you guys like destroying mah beloved language, it is written "Répartie"

Quote from Magicide
Sup.

I'm the guy everyone loves.

... who are you ?

None.

Mar 27 2010, 3:19 am CaptainWill Post #23

I'm adding it right away... you guys like destroying mah beloved language, it is written "Répartie"

Not in English it isn't. Also, as much as I hate to correct a native speaker of the language (although I suppose Francais Québecois may be different) - répartir means something different from repartir.

'Repartee' comes from an old meaning for the verb 'repartir' which isn't used in modern French. The word was borrowed from French by the English back when French was considered a very prestigious language to learn (especially for diplomats). At the time, 'repartir' was used to mean 'to retort'. The word was Anglicised as 'repartee' (seeing as one of the conjugations of 'repartir' is 'repartie') and the meaning stayed the same in English (as do most loan words from other languages), whereas in French it changed because the word already had several meanings, with 'to retort' being a rather non-literal definition which fell out of use.

None.

Mar 27 2010, 8:02 pm Fire_Kame Post #24

wth is starcraft

Quote from CaptainWill

Not in English it isn't. Also, as much as I hate to correct a native speaker of the language (although I suppose Francais Québecois may be different) - répartir means something different from repartir.

'Repartee' comes from an old meaning for the verb 'repartir' which isn't used in modern French. The word was borrowed from French by the English back when French was considered a very prestigious language to learn (especially for diplomats). At the time, 'repartir' was used to mean 'to retort'. The word was Anglicised as 'repartee' (seeing as one of the conjugations of 'repartir' is 'repartie') and the meaning stayed the same in English (as do most loan words from other languages), whereas in French it changed because the word already had several meanings, with 'to retort' being a rather non-literal definition which fell out of use.

I have had a crappy week and this pretty much made my day. Will why are you never on msnm anymore?

Mar 28 2010, 3:18 am CaptainWill Post #25

:awesome:

I am on MSN, but probably not when you are. Time difference and all that.

None.

Mar 28 2010, 5:18 am Fire_Kame Post #26

wth is starcraft

Quote from CaptainWill
:awesome:

I am on MSN, but probably not when you are. Time difference and all that.

Well fix the difference already.

Options
  Back to forum